New Tiller

Featured Posts

My boat came with a non standard well I’ve not seen another tiller like it. The stock is at deck level and a rather attractive wooden tiller slots in and comes out at 45 degrees.

My problem is that you have to stand to steer. With advancing rheumatoid arthritis this is becoming hard work.

I’ve looked around and Googled but not found any info re suppliers. Does anyone know of a supplier?

Many thanks, Clive

My boat came with a non standard well I’ve not seen another tiller like it. The stock is at deck level and a rather attractive wooden tiller slots in and comes out at 45 degrees.

My problem is that you have to stand to steer. With advancing rheumatoid arthritis this is becoming hard work.

I’ve looked around and Googled but not found any info re suppliers. Does anyone know of a supplier?

Many thanks, Clive

I'm not entirely sure what it is you're looking for - a reshaped wooden tiller, or a more conventional steel arrangement?

In either case unless it's a mass-produced boat they will be one-off items, any decent 'skilled' boatyard should be able to sort you out.

If it's the wooden one you're after you do really need to find out whether they have the right skills & know what you're talking about.

What part of the country are you in?

Tim

If it's the wooden one you're after you do really need to find out whether they have the right skills & know what you're talking about.

What part of the country are you in?

Tim

Thanks Tim,

I tried to google with out luck.

I live in Oxford so I'll ask local boat yards unless you know of a good person

thanks again Clive

Yeah, a photo would be great at this point.

- Im really stuggling to visulaise your current setup.

- I though it was basicaly standard to have to stand up at a tiller?

Daniel

Hi Clive.

What everyone is getting at, is that like most things on narrowboats there is no such thing as 'A standard', in fact you will struggle to find two boats of the same design. I am sure there are several people on the forum who could make you a modified replacement but you must supply the information.

If its a steel one you want I can probably help you, but not if its wooden, I dont do wood, I'm crap at it.

Wood doesn't behave itself.

On the other hand:

I don't like steel because you have to put a blindfold on before joining two bits together.

I really want a go with one of those light sensitive masks though. There's time for me to be converted yet...

On the other hand:

I don't like steel because you have to put a blindfold on before joining two bits together.

I really want a go with one of those light sensitive masks though. There's time for me to be converted yet...

You won't want a second go Carl. I have known someone get used to them, but generally your eyes don't work fast enough, so you have to be good a 'blindfold' welding.

Probably as we get older, but more likely because we now only weld infrequently, but myself, and several of my mates now have problems seeing what we are doing. The masks are either too light, or too dark. The light sensitive ones can be adjusted, but much of the welding still seems to be missing the join.

Mig welders have made the job easier, only get someone with experience to set it up, otherwise they're crap. Use inate gas, not CO2 will also help. Mig welders that have not been regularly used, or worn also give trouble, as the wire speed needs to be constant.

I've only ever had serious Arc Eye once. After being at my friends garage, and becoming competent with his Mig welder, I had returned after a break from going to repair my old van for MOT. The cills needed some patches, and I had trouble seeing. His mask was too dark, and I was only welding on low power. Also welding 'rust' is not the best job. Because it was such low power I welded short pieces without the mask, as I couldn't see any other way. I have done this before with no problems.

Maybe because I had not been welding regularly for a few months or what I don't know, however that night I had terrible arc eye. That is when the eyeballs get 'sunburnt' and small blisters come on the eyeball. Probably a bit like going out sunbathing, without doing a bit at a time.

Anyway, it's like sand in your eyes, and after a while they hurt either open, or shut. I resorted to holding both my eyelids shut with my fingers towards the end of the night. Then, just as I was resigned to stopping in, he rang to say I'd run the welder out of wire, adn could I pick some up from town. I couldn't refuse of course, but 'blind driving' was a new art I had to learn :rolleyes: