Rusty Gas Locker

Featured Posts

When I bought my boat, the bottom of the gas locker has been holding water for god knows how long, and because of this, it's rusted pretty badly, and has gone through in some places. The problem is, that, when it rains, the water gets into the gas locker itself due to the lid being made of wood, which has gone rotten. The water which gets through the holes in the bottom of the locker doesn't end up in the engine bilges, but in the main cabin bilges under the floor. This is because the locker is on the back deck, but underneath there's a sort of 'cut out' which was used to make a single berth on the right hand side when you come down the steps at the back. The problem exists because the lid of the locker was all rotten and not very watertight and also because the drainage holes didn't line up with the bottom of the locker, it's about 1cm above and is only 2 very small holes.

I obviously need to get in there, scrape and treat the rust, but the drainage holes are just above steel the rubbing strakes. I had a word with a welder that I know to ask him whether he could weld a new peice of steel for the bottom but he suggested using glass fibre to make a sort of waterproof shower tray, and just making the drainage holes bigger but not lower as this would mean welding through the d-bar. He said this would be okay as the water would sit ontop of the fibreglass without affecting any of the remaining steel, and would also be watertight.

Do you think this is the right way to go, or does anybody have any other ideas on how to tackle the problem? Thanks in advance.

How much room is there around the gas cylinder? Is it a really tight fit?

Do you have enough room for a sleeve?

Say, a steel sleeve that slides inside your current gas locker with a nice new water proof lid?

If you want I'll even make it for you.

Oh and I'll call it a birthday present, many happy returns.

Edited by Yamanx

How much room is there around the gas cylinder? Is it a really tight fit?

Do you have enough room for a sleeve?

Say, a steel sleeve that slides inside your current gas locker with a nice new water proof lid?

Rusty gas lockers can be a bit of a nightmare. Luckily it sounds as though yours is well above the waterline.

A sleeve can be a good answer, but remember it'll need a drain plumbing in to the outside world, and your rusty steel will continue to fester around it (OK, you can take steps to arrest that to some degree)

Fibreglassing might work for a couple of years, then whoever gets the job of fixing it properly will curse the bloke who did the fibreglassing.

It sounds as though your job needs looking at soon, as judging by your description any leaking gas will be going into your bilges.

If you're passing (not on a bank holiday :) ) and can manage to get out of the tunnel, by all means give me a shout & I'll offer an opinion.

Tim

.... when it rains, the water gets into the gas locker itself due to the lid being made of wood, which has gone rotten. The water which gets through the holes in the bottom of the locker doesn't end up in the engine bilges, but in the main cabin bilges under the floor.

I don't want to scare-monger - but so will any leaked gas, cos it's heavier than air and will drop into your bilge and hang around there until it reaches an explosive mix and then......

Your problem is much worse than just a drop of rain-water. Please be careful, and fix it soon.

David

PS Happy Birthday!

Edited by Bullfrog

By the way, the boat currently has no gas fitted whatsoever. When I bought the boat it was in a right state. The gas bottles were removed from the boat and put on the bank, and all gas piping has been removed. It's only an empty gas locker and has been for months. I agree, that you can't be too careful with gas.

I hope to sell the boat once it's all in order, but on the other hand I don't want to do a botch job so the poor bugger who ends up with the boat has a nightmare job trying to set it sorted for the long term..

Yamanx, thanks very much for the offer! :) I'm down at the boat tonight so to start with, I'll take measurements. Tim, also, thank you very much but it'll be a job for me to get the boat to you as it's currently a none runner, but that should be sorted soon.

Edited by Liam

• 2 weeks later...

We've got a similar problem on our boat - both Gas locker bottoms are pretty corroded and one of the "drains" has collapsed. :)

We've worked out that two steel "trays" with sides a few inches high welded into the bottom of the gas lockers and then new holes drilled through and drain pipes welded in is the "sensible" way forward. The only problem is getting anyone to quote on the work (which can't be carried out at our moorings due to restrictions in the mooring agreement) and getting it done.

Boat is at Market Drayton.

I suspect the big problem is going to be drilling holes through the hull, running pipe through for the drains then welding it at both ends - the gas lockers don't actually have any contact with the hull apart from where they are welded on at the gunwale level.

Is it possible to use a skin fitting on the hull and inside the gas locker with a pipe between them?

Possibly - I suspect getting spanners up into the gap between the lockers and the hull could be a bit of a pain.

Its not something we've looked into with too much detail - it was starting to rain and sticking my head under the deck and trying to work out the best way of doing it wasn't the first thing on my mind :-)