Old photograph of the BCN at Wolverhampton

Christine

Featured Posts

My father, Harry Turton, took this photograph in 1947. The building on the left are the premises of John Thompson, Boilermakers where my father worked for a short while. The boat on the left is named Thomas Williams.

The first boat (l-r) of the group of 3 on the right hand side is called Violett.

My father was a very keen photographer and this picture titled 'Black Country' was printed as a whole plate and in low contrast to be 'atmospheric'. It was exhibited at the Worthing Camera Club exhibition in 1953.

blackcountry.jpg

That's lovely

Thank you.

I was looking through the folio of old prints and came upon this yesterday.

The story goes that my father used a bit of artistic licence and pencilled in some smoke from one of the chimneys to 'balance the shot'. When he showed it to an old local chap he said' 'Ey 'op Lad, thats odd - that factory has been closed for years'!

John Thompson factory started out making canal boats in 1850. I think the factory was at Ettinshall. I think the photograph was taken at Ettinshall Arm Junction.

Christine

Thankyou for that picture it is great I think John Thompson was the company that made Monarch's original boiler and he was brother in law to Joshua Fellows ??? Corect me if i am wrong anyone ???

Viv