Lining out with ply

Featured Posts

So I'm fairly sure I'm going to line my boat with oak faced ply rather than tongue & groove. A few of my friends made sharp intakes of breath when I told them this as apparently it's a lot harder to do accurately.

What approach do people usually take to ensure accurate sizing and in particular, positioning of windows etc? Do you just rely on careful measuring or is it safer to make a card template and transfer the shape onto the ply from that? Or some other technique?

Any suggestions gratefully received before I mis-cut a lot of expensive wood. smile.png

Edited by Fennel

So I'm fairly sure I'm going to line my boat with oak faced ply rather than tongue & groove. A few of my friends made sharp intakes of breath when I told them this as apparently it's a lot harder to do accurately.

What approach do people usually take to ensure accurate sizing and in particular, positioning of windows etc? Do you just rely on careful measuring or is it safer to make a card template and transfer the shape onto the ply from that? Or some other technique?

Any suggestions gratefully received before I mis-cut a lot of expensive wood. smile.png

I held the panels in place on temporary fixings (actually angle brackets screwed to battens at correct height at bottom,) then drew around the window apertures on the inside with an extremely short pencil that I cut down. I didn't find it hard lining with ply, and I am certainly no expert. I am pretty certain I learned these methods from this book: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Narrowboat-Builders-Book-Graham-Booth/dp/1870002717

Well worth a read.

If you don't have much experience in all the scribing and shaping involved in lining a boat, you could use some thin mdf to make templates, especially if it's nice ply your working with. Cutting the templates will also give you some practice to get your scribing skills up to scratch. If it's veneered ply , use downward cutting jigsaw blades or white masking tape before you cut.

It's a good idea to fit the window surrounds and door frames first after cutting a rebate round the outer edges to take the ply lining, this will mean that the cover strips used to conceal the joint between the ply and frames can be flat on the back face rather than a hockey stick shape. The fit between the two is also less critical since it's covered.

I always use 9mm on the top sides and 12 mm below, internal furniture can then be fixed directly to the lining, only really heavy items will need screwing through into the bearers.

If that isn't clear please post again and I will try and post a sketch.

One method of cutting out the windows is to to cut out a smaller hole in the centre of the window area and then measure outwards to the frame with the ply held in place temporarily.

Mike.

Edited by Mike Jordan

edited ?? unsure.png

Edited out then!

I tried to edit the post I made but quoted it instead! Of course it was/is too late to edit it now rolleyes.gif

Post now changed to REMOVED ;)