Atlanta 24 lack of cleats

Bantam_dave21

Featured Posts

Hey,

Has anyone else owned/used an Atlanta 24 and found a distinct lack of cleats....and have you overcome it? 2 at the bow and 2 in poor locations at the transom....terrible for spring lines etc....i moor stern on and a cleat central would be so useful.....there are tqo eyes for fenders but poor for roping through. I've found a cleat with similar hole pattern to the eyes and am going to swap one and see how i feel about the look and whether it gets in the way.

Anyone?

Hi Phil,

Yes thats the plan, fitting a centre cleat in place of a fender eyelet. Was just interested if others had come across similar...is it just me? Is whats provided adequate to everyone else i.e. Am I doing something wrong. Has anyone overcome it differently without fitting cleats where the GRP doesn't really allow for them.

I considered snap rings in the fender eyelets to make almost a mooring ring on the gunwhale......given it would be used little etc...

Hi Phil,

Yes thats the plan, fitting a centre cleat in place of a fender eyelet. Was just interested if others had come across similar...is it just me? Is whats provided adequate to everyone else i.e. Am I doing something wrong. Has anyone overcome it differently without fitting cleats where the GRP doesn't really allow for them.

I considered snap rings in the fender eyelets to make almost a mooring ring on the gunwhale......given it would be used little etc...

I would be wary of using fender eyelets for mooring, uncertain as to if they would take the extra load that would be placed on them. Better to put a fit for purpose cleat in place.

Phil

Edited by Phil Ambrose

Has anyone overcome it differently without fitting cleats where the GRP doesn't really allow for them.

If you mean it is not strong enough, you should always use a strong backing plate on deck fittings expected to take any load.

Usually this is a chunk of thick plywood or even metal. It must be wider than the fitting, and with no hard or sharp corners. Glue or fibreglass it to the boat where you need the support, then bolt the fitting through this plate.