Best way to power washer

Sswift

Featured Posts

Hi folks I'm trying to decide best value for money so I thought id ask the forums opinion, my batteries need replacing before we head out for the summer so as I'm buying new ones I'm bit more bothered than than I used to be about looking after them. Everything onboard is 12v except the washer, currently we run this through a sterling 3 kw inverter whilst we're moving ( isuzu 42 with twin 70a alternators)I appreciate a genny would probably be best but I don't want the hassle of petrol, so would my cash be best spent on a smartgauge and smartbank to parallel the alternators I have or should I get a larger alternator for the domestics I've seen a 120a upgrade which should keep up in theory. We do also have 500 w of solar as well which handles all our general usage over the summer.

Thanks guys,

Why not simply parallel the alternators with a VSR (voltage sensitive relay)? That'll give you a potential 140A charging source as and when the batteries can use it.

A SmartGauge will certainly allow you to confirm that you're not hammering your batteries but isn't necessary just to parallel the alts. If you are going to get a SmartGauge anyway then a Smartbank has definite advantages over a VSR.

Tony

There is lots of stuff on this forum about paralleling alternators and it does not need to be nearly as expensive as a smartgage and smartbank, though a smartgage is a rather nice thing to have anyway. A voltage sensitive relay would do it, or just a big relay and a switch.

Paralleling your existing alternators is likely much easier than upgrading; your 70 amp alternator probably has a single V belt but once you go much bigger you start needing twin belts or polyV belts etc and maybe better mount brackets. A means to join the alternators also gives you a good emergency back-up if either alternator fails.

...............Dave

Not all washers work with all inverters and all generators, it's often problematic! So if you have sorted that and got a washer that works with the inverter that you have stick with it!

Simply paralleling the alternators will get the most from your engine when recharging a heavily discharged battery, Smartbank may do it better. £nnn better is your decision.

Thanks guys blimey you lot are quick :-) that's the answer I was looking for realy I think, appreciate I can parallel a bit cheaper with a v.s.r but to be fair the smartgauge would be useful (if we don't start the washing till batteries are nearly full that should help) only gauge I've currently got is the voltage reading on the tracer mppt display. Smartgauge and bank it is then anyone fitted one are they relatively straightforward I'm fairly good at following instructions.