Falkirk to Glasgow or Edinburgh?

Turbuck

Featured Posts

I'm planning my third narrowboat trip for either September or October 2016. Thank you ALL for your help in planning my last two!

Unfortunately, I only have a week to boat this year (10 days vacation total) and was wondering if I should fly to Glasgow and spend time there, then boat from Falkirk to Edinburgh, or vice-versa? OR, spend the entire time narrowboating?

Thanks for any suggestions!

Michele

Either Edinburgh or Glasgow is doable in a week. Both CAN be done, but it means a lot of boating, and not a lot of time to see the sights.

Falkirk to Glasgow depends a bit on lock and bridge operation, which is done by Scottish Canals, but usual stops seem to be Auchenstary or Kirkintilloch, arriving at Glasgow the following day.

Falkirk to Edinburgh is plain sailing once you've ascended the wheel, usually with two overnight stops. Linlithgow and Ratho seem popular. If you want to moor at Edinburgh Quay, you have to plan to arrive early. In October, the SC bridge operator usually finishes at 4.30p.m., and there is the infamous "rowing stretch" before it, which powered boats are supposed to avoid between 3.15p.m. and 5.15p.m on weekdays, so it's best to plan to be through this by 3p.m..

The Skippers' Guide is worth reading, giving Scottish Canals' contact numbers and detailing the locks and bridges which they operate for you.

We headed to Edinburgh first, arrived in early afternoon and left the next lunchtime. We were surprised how slow-going the Union Canal was, due mainly to shallowness. The trip from Falkirk to Glasgow was much faster, as the canal is wide and deep. We spent two nights at the good, secure moorings in Glasgow, thus having a complete day to sightsee there. It was a very enjoyable week, despite the snow.......in May!

• 4 weeks later...

Hi all, thought I might join into this conversation as well. I am in Australia and am looking at about September 2017 to come over and get a boat from Falkirk to Glasgow, then to Edinburgh and back to Falkirk. I aim to spend a slow two weeks doing this trip to allow us plenty of time in Glasgow, Edinburgh and anywhere in between. I am also interested in any recommended stops along that route. I am waiting for a map to arrive from the UK showing the route, including locks etc as some internet sites mentioned multiple locks between Falkirk and Glasgow (34???) whereas other sites states only 8 locks in the return trip, so the map set up on a wall will allow me to get my head around it properly.

Thank you in advance for any assistance..

From Falkirk to Glasgow is only 4 locks and few bridge openings, doable in a day. Auchinstarry is a really nice stop off point after the 4 locks and about half way. The Stables pub near Kirkintilloch is also a nice stop-off on the way to Glasgow.

The canal continues through Glasgow and to the Clyde which is where more locks come in, you don't have to do that though if you are just interested in getting to the city itself.

On the Union Canal, Linlithgow is a favourite stop for your first night after doing the Falkirk Wheel. There are lots of wild bits you could stop for the night on the Union, some really beautiful spots. Ratho is also another good stop-off point before the final push into Edinburgh. Hopefully by September 2017 the canal will have been dredged so it is a little easier to navigate!!! One thought, if you brought your trip forward a few weeks you could take in the Edinburgh Festival in August which is the biggest arts festival in the world and is amazing...