Fertan

jeb

Featured Posts

Hi

Following on from the recent rust killer thread,I have just taken delivery of 2 litres of Fertan. Enclosed in the box was a slip which simply states that if anyone would like a free sample of Fertan rust converter contact them by,

E.Mail info@fertan.co.uk

Phone 02380 45600

Fax 01903 539595

and quote ' sample code 306'

Have not used it yet so cannot make any comment

Hi

Following on from the recent rust killer thread,I have just taken delivery of 2 litres of Fertan. Enclosed in the box was a slip which simply states that if anyone would like a free sample of Fertan rust converter contact them by,

E.Mail info@fertan.co.uk

Phone 02380 45600

Fax 01903 539595

and quote ' sample code 306'

Have not used it yet so cannot make any comment

Fertan is brilliant I`m sure. However we may have had a problem in the past because it didn`t adhere well enough to the clean metal either side of the bit that actually needed treatment. So I would suggest that it`s fine anywhere but where you may want to mask for writing or whatever - in which places be sure to thoroughly abraid it where it spreads beyond the ex-rust - or make sure you get none of it on the bits that aren`t rusty in the first place. That said they are a small company who`ve stuck it out for years , and as many of us know it ain`t that easy sometimes - so giving them support is no bad thing and it`s a good product.

Cheers

Phil

Fertan is brilliant I`m sure. However we may have had a problem in the past because it didn`t adhere well enough to the clean metal either side of the bit that actually needed treatment. So I would suggest that it`s fine anywhere but where you may want to mask for writing or whatever - in which places be sure to thoroughly abraid it where it spreads beyond the ex-rust - or make sure you get none of it on the bits that aren`t rusty in the first place. That said they are a small company who`ve stuck it out for years , and as many of us know it ain`t that easy sometimes - so giving them support is no bad thing and it`s a good product.

Cheers

Phil

In general, if my decks need repainting because of small areas of wear & rust, am I better off using Vactan, Fertan (or some other rust treatment), or a wire brush attachment on a drill on the affected areas and then red oxide primer before repainting?

In general, if my decks need repainting because of small areas of wear & rust, am I better off using Vactan, Fertan (or some other rust treatment), or a wire brush attachment on a drill on the affected areas and then red oxide primer before repainting?

Any decent rust converter will help ( including ours!) once you`ve got rid of as much of the rust as possible. Get rid of all of it using the method you suggest and you no longer have a problem . No rust at all is better than a small amount that`s been treated every time. We always try very hard to remove it completely.

Red-oxide is a generic name ( even just a colour description ). What you want is a high build zinc rich primer - wether it`s called red oxide or not is irrelevant ,as is the colour. Ours for instance is grey.Follow that with whatever finish suits - but again, if it`s "red-oxide" be sure it`s a finish and not a primer.

Cheers

Phil

Edited by Phil Speight

Any decent rust converter will help ( including ours!) once you`ve got rid of as much of the rust as possible. Get rid of all of it using the method you suggest and you no longer have a problem . No rust at all is better than a small amount that`s been treated every time. We always try very hard to remove it completely.

Red-oxide is a generic name ( even just a colour description ). What you want is a high build zinc rich primer - wether it`s called red oxide or not is irrelevant ,as is the colour. Ours for instance is grey.Follow that with whatever finish suits - but again, if it`s "red-oxide" be sure it`s a finish and not a primer.

Cheers

Phil

I used a 65mm wire brush cup attachment on an angle gringer today to clean up the bow deck. I got all of the flaking paint & rust off but I had to leave some of the existing deck paint which seemed firmly stuck on, as it was too much work to get the whole deck back to bare metal.

I put a first coat of Teamac Duracote Red Oxide which I thinned with a little white spirit but I found it didn't go on quite as well as I'd expected. I got a lot of dots where it looked like the paint had reacted with the bare metal. Not sure how I could have prepared the surface any better? Perhaps I should have wiped it down with white spirit first?

Edited by blackrose