Villager puffin securing ash pan

Woodfordes

Featured Posts

So I have a villager puffin on my boat and I've had the normal glass issue that I tried everything to get over and finally had to resort to the bolting method. To be honest I wish I had just been done with it before.

Now I have a issue with my ash pan door. When the stove gets very hot and I guess the casting distorts slightly the ash pan can pop open. And my fear is I won't be around and don't want a run away stove on my hands. Clearly I need a new stove. But is there any way anyone can think of to secure the ash pan door back? It seems to me it's just a roller pin that holds the door back. It doesn't seem to have a latch. I did inherent this stove so maybe the ash pan doors not right? Any help. Thank you.

On mine I had to adjust the bolt on the main door to get it to close properly. It was a right pain to do as it had corroded but soaki g with WD40 for a few days enabled me to loosen it. Not convenient if you need to use the stove. You might be able to file the head of the bolt down so it does secure the door. Its not a good stove we replaced ours last year and the old one is languishing in my shed. Must e bay it sometime.

Top Cat

Ahh ok interesting. Is doesn't really have a mechanism it's just a pin on the end of knob that scuffs against he stove side as it slides in. I did fear it was maybe buggerd.

Thanks for you quick reply.

Sounds like it has been modified/ bodged in the past. I have a Villager Puffin and the ash pan door closing mechanism is exactly the same as the main door closing mechanism.

Sounds like it has been modified/ bodged in the past. I have a Villager Puffin and the ash pan door closing mechanism is exactly the same as the main door closing mechanism.

Seconded. Mine stays shut and is same as main door.

Ithink mine's a puffin and the ashpan door is on a sort of cam so you can adjust the opening for the draw. I found it useless so drilled a circle of holes in it and fitted a wheel on a thread so it would adjust better. The door itself sometimes falls open with engine vibration. Also, if there's buildup of ash or clart at the back of the pan, the door wont shut properly and can come open - it comes off the pins at the bottom.