The Cruise to Lechlade

TeeELL

Featured Posts

Dear reader, forgive the repetition of this post but I thought it would be more appropriate to write up 'ELEMIAH's move as a cruise diary so herewith the first instalment:

Hi All,

I’m going to start my tale covering the first 3 days of moving ‘ELEMIAH’ – essentially straight forward but, as you will know from Moley’s post’s, not without incident.

We arrived at Brierley Hill at about 10.00 on the morning of Friday 16th Mar. I had already stocked the boat with most of the essentials and we only needed to load Gary’s kit and a few extra items. But, before we could do that, Mo had to thoroughly investigate the ‘finished product’, she hadn’t seen the boat for some time and I had refused to show her the photos I had taken on Wed and Thur. Several ‘Ooohs’ and ‘Aaahs’ later we were finally allowed to start the engine and begin the journey. (Now some of you will recall that we had ‘stolen’ ELEMIAH for a 2 week break back in Sep – well, when we returned the boat we had ascended the first lock {actually lock 8} in the Delph flight – by the pub – in order to wind and moor the boat in a convenient position for KBS to work on her). So our first task was to cruise for 35 mins the wrong way in order to wind at Leys Jn – inconvenient but a good shake down - thus we returned to start our ascent of the Delph flight at 12.30.

Gary had not passed through Merry Hill before and, because we had agreed to meet Mo for ‘afternoon tea’ we moored above Sainsbury’s, whilst waiting for Mo and her friend to finish shopping and come up to the boat, Gary and I took the opportunity to ensure the stocks of beer were sufficient by popping down to shop. All in all we were moored for 2 hours, something that would bite us as darkness fell a little later on.

The water available locally at Brierley Hill is quite unpleasant (to my palate at least) and so we had not filled the tank, as a result we were under some pressure to make a watering point. We made the sanitation station at the top of Bowles Green Lock (Park Head Jn?) at 17.10, of course the Dudley Tunnel electric boat ‘ELECTRA’ was moored up alongside the place so we had to breast up and clamber over the blessed boat in order to fill up the tank. With darkness falling, I’m afraid that we decided to call it a day and stay there, figuring that no one else would be passing. As a matter of personal interest I decided to ‘dip’ the fuel tank to test my new calibrated stick – shocker!! - we had significantly (no, make that very significantly) less fuel than I had expected. Tomorrow was going to be a much gentler cruise than planned.

On Sat morning we were off by 06.55 and progressed through Netherton tunnel and on to the Birmingham Main Line – or at least we would have done. Shortly after exiting the tunnel the boat started slowing down and the tell tale sign of the prop wash indicated that a visit to the weed hatch was required. At this point I realised the folly of beer and rich food – I could hardly get to the hatch. Anyhow after 15 minutes of struggling and winding the prop to and fro I eventually removed a significant amount of plastic sheeting. As we joined the Main Line, I phoned the Marina in the Oozell Loop to check that they were open and had fuel. Two hours later we arrived, what a fascinating place – not done the loop before – a combination of the old and the new. Just prior to refuelling I dipped the tank again – it was on the ‘yellow’ (this is the mark below which fuel is no longer available to the Morso Squirrel – have I mention the stove? No, that’s another story!!) Anyhow, 118 litres later – at 55p/ltr – the tank was full. Whilst sat refuelling I tried to gain WiFi access – lots of possibilities but none ‘available’ for use.

We set off again at 11.45 and, because Gary had not seen the Gas Street basin etc, we went through to The Post Box and back. Oh yes, we moored outside the ‘Handmade Burger Co’ and availed ourselves of their wares – very nice and with big chips. (Hope I don’t have to venture down the weed hatch again!!)

12.50 saw us on the move once more. We spent from 12.55 to 14.20 descending Farmers Bridge flight and saw interesting samples of midland youth ‘at leisure’ – for all you youngsters ‘Farmers Bridge Flight’ is where it happens on a Sat afternoon – just bring your own blue plastic bottles of questionable alcoholic content.

The youth of Birmingham caused us no hassle – in fact they helped with the lock gates, asked sensible questions about the boat and a couple even confessed to having holidayed on narrow boats – no it was Ashted tunnel. The Nicholson advised that the clearance is tight – PEOPLE- BE WARNED IT IS!! – I ended up hauling the boat through on the centre rope to try and hold her away from the tunnel roof/sides. Trouble is, I’d unwittingly left the side hatch doors open, in addition the fairleads? for the centre rope got scraped. TOP TIP – go to the lower lock and check the bye-wash – I found that rubbish, planks, branches etc had created a dam keeping the water in the pound (which includes the tunnel) some 3 inches higher that it should. Now I know, if I ever pass that way again I will check before passage through.

At 15.50 we started up Camp Hill locks and were helped by Aden, it took us an hour to reach the top. Shortly afterwards we had our unpleasantness. I had gone below to make Gary a cuppa – after all, he had done all the locking, and he was relaxing on the tiller. As we passed a playing field on the eastern edge of Small Heath a group of 6 Asian youths decided that ‘ELEMIAH’ would make good target practice. The first I knew of it was Gary’s raised voice and 2 loud crashes as rocks hit the boat. The production of a camera saw an instant departure of the youths and we reversed to see if we could get a better idea of who they were. I disembarked and decided to call the police. The group of youths were several hundred yards away and we decided that we would prefer to press on into the country side. As far as I have subsequently checked, there appears to be no damage to the paintwork! But I have an incident number ‘just in case’ Gary said that the youth made a conscious effort to throw the rocks at the ‘window’ in the side hatch – whilst their aim was lousy they would have been disappointed as it is made from the same stuff as police riot shields.

It was dark when we finally moored in Catherine de Barnes.

Sunday the 18th – a lie in – we get going at 07.15. Oh I forgot the Morso Squirrel. You will recall that the weather conditions were forecast to include snow and that whilst that didn’t arrive until early the following week it was very cold. ‘ELEMIAH’ has a Lockgate diesel conversion Morso Squirrel whos praises I have sung in other threads on this forum. Not so this time!! I couldn’t get the thing to work – at best I could get a flickering and very sooty flame, although a good dose of meths would generate the appropriate ‘burn picture’. KBS had had similar problems and had stripped down the controller – the real problem would reveal itself later in the week (although you will recall the perilous state of fuel content earlier in this post – which was another reason the stove wouldn’t have worked for KBS!!)

As there was a good hours cruising before reaching Knowle top lock, I took the opportunity to fix the puncture in the rear tyre of the trusty folding bike – a good move as it made working Hatton much easier.

Having worked through Knowle locks alone we found another boat, being worked single handed at the top of Hatton. Brian, the owner, had collected his boat - a Kingfisher sailaway, from New Boat Co at Hanbury – 2 days before and was reeling from the challenge of the GU double locks. We tied the 2 boats together after the first lock and I steered whilst he and Gary worked the locks – a brisk wind was adding to the challenge. It took us from 11.45 to 14.50 to descend Hatton flight. We cruised on until 1600 before we moored – enough is enough. Brian was moored just behind us and was going to book a taxi to go back and collect his van – I cooked a meal for the three of us (I know full well what it is like to move a boat with no facilities, bar an engine, on board in cold weather). Thus Sunday passed and ‘ELEMIAH’ was a little closer to Lechlade. Oh, I nearly forgot – we nearly had a disaster in the final lock before mooring. Brian was on the back of his boat, which was no longer tied to mine, and in a moment of inattention allowed his boat to drift back. I was on the lock side controlling my boat with the centre rope – I cannot remember what had caused this change in strategy – but there was a sudden cry from Brian as his stern lifted. Boy did those paddles get closed quickly – although it took me 2 shouts to get the ‘winders’ to react. Cold and tied – mistakes were being made – fortunately we caught things early and, Brians boat being light (it was sitting about 6” higher than mine), no damage was done. Having reached the outskirts of Warwick, Gary left the boat to meet with his wife and return home to start his course on Mon morning.

Monday 19th – Today Mo joins the boat late morning. Alone I move off moorings at 08.20 with the boat covered in the remnants of overnight snow. Brian had departed at first light on his journey to Oxford. At 08.30 I passed Kate Boats – made famous by Allie’s epic tale from last year – and, at 08.40 I moored at Br 46 above Tesco’s to await the arrival of Mo. As an aside – do you know how difficult it can be to find a replacement bulb for a torch? I went to FOCUS – sell you a torch sir, certainly sir! Bulb for a torch – no chance, try the LUCAS shop across the road sir (all without the ‘sir’ of course).

I hope I’ve not made this tale too dry, nevertheless I’ll stop now and continue the next instalment with Mo ‘on board’. In the next day or two.

I would post the next installment but Gary has a camera full of photos from the weekend and I think it would be better if I include some of those before progressing with the tale (I think he has pictures of the 'bandits' but best not publish them!!)

D'you know - you are absolutely right!! I must try and kick my brain into gear before I post.

I saw Gary today down at the marina - he forgot to bring the disk of photos - he will try and remember to bring it tomorrow so my apologies for the delay in the next installment.

Hi all,

I have promised some photos to supplement the first couple of days cruising. Gary has supplied me with his photos (some 400+ !!) and I have found some time to populate 'Photobucket' with some of them. So here goes (just a few to whet your appitite, I'm off to bed - up early for 5 days cruising down the Thames and back):

100_2118.jpg

Here I am in a state of almost total disbelief that, at long last, I am getting my boat back.

100_2122.jpg

Looking from the rear of the boat forward past the bedroom and beyond to the galley and saloon.

100_2124.jpg

This is the view from the steering position down into the 'utility room'!!! :cheers: Our e-Bay Zanussi the star of the show.

100_2136.jpg

We are trying to take it all in. Myomo hasn't seen the boat for a month or so and is still in the "oooh aaah" phase.

100_2129.jpg

This is a view from the forward doors looking aft across the saloon and galley.

100_2133.jpg

And this is looking the other way :cheers:

100_2148.jpg

At long last we are escaping from BrierlEy Hill. Trouble is the upper flight of the Delph locks are behind us and we must travel some 40 mins to get to the nearest winding hole. However we snuk past on the way back without KBS reeling us in again.

The adventure begins.

The next installment will be on our return from 5-6 days cruising on the Thames.

'Till then Bye

But, before we could do that, Mo had to thoroughly investigate the ‘finished product’, she hadn’t seen the boat for some time and I had refused to show her the photos I had taken on Wed and Thur. Several ‘Ooohs’ and ‘Aaahs’ later we were finally allowed to start the engine and begin the journey.

Alex (minimoman) and me were lucky enough to take a peek at Elemiah when we were at KBS last month, literally just before you were due back on the Monday. I did comment then. We were returning some sleepeasy's which we cannot fit on our boat (we 'lost' a lot of space in our build we cannot now do anything about) and got the chance to take a look and see John and Elaine hard at work on final touches. As they will be doing some work on ours - either at the end of the summer or early next year, it was good to see an example of their workmanship. I have to say again, I really liked the maple panels.

We set off on what we have named our 'epic voyage' next Monday and we can't wait. We are moving our boat from its current moorings to the new marina being built south of Loughborough, but going the long way round.. the really long way round avoiding the tidal River Trent mainly due to neither of us having enough experience to do river work. Plus I just love the route we have planned through the Pennines and it will be our summer cruising.

Enjoy yours! :cheers:

• 3 weeks later...

Well folks, time for an update. Apologies for the delays - but since retiring I've never worked so hard - I'm now an experience interior decorator and re-plasterer and I'm about to qualify on hanging new doors. I've been doing some flying, been up to Anglesey to visit my son and, of course, taken the boat out. Anyway here is the next bit of the photo diary to tie up with the first post.

100_2387.jpg

The Post Box - Gary had not seen this part of Birmingham

100_2391.jpg

With a fair cross wind picking up I was finding it 'interesting' on our return to 'take a right' for Farmers bridge flight. The water taxi - steered by some youth didn't help by dawdling through the Worcester Bar which had me being blown across the cut.

100_2412.jpg

100_2439.jpg

100_2443.jpg

Farmers Bridge Flight from Gary's view point and from mine.

100_2460.jpg

Some of the interesting 'graffitti' on the walls of buildings as you pass through the Farmers Bridge flight - many changes taking place at the lower end of the flight with buildings being demolished.

100_2478.jpg

THAT TUNNEL - I am removing the chimney cowel, little realising that this would not be sufficient to prevent additional damage to 'ELEMIAH'

100_2482.jpg

In this picture, you can make me out holding the side of the boat in order to keep her away from the tunnel side - it didn't work.

100_2483.jpg

In just about the center of the photo is the grid surrounding the side wash which had built up a dam and artificially raised the depth of the pound, containing the tunnel, by some 2-3 inches. If you plan to pass through this tunnel then this is where you need the chech if the levels are up.

100_2518.jpg

This is the point where 'ELEMIAH' had been stoned by the asian youths. Irate owner can be seen striding forth, in order to identify the recreation ground to inform the police. At this stage the youths had retired to the very far end of the ground.