thetford casette

dor

Featured Posts

I am considering installing a Thetford cassette toilet rather than a holding tank.

My initial searching is leaving me a bit confused about different models. I'm looking for one that will be plumbed in and uses integral cassettes. I don't see that I need an integral water tank. If they are plumbed in, why do they need an internal pump?

Any views, opinions and experiences welcome.

I am considering installing a Thetford cassette toilet rather than a holding tank.

My initial searching is leaving me a bit confused about different models. I'm looking for one that will be plumbed in and uses integral cassettes. I don't see that I need an integral water tank. If they are plumbed in, why do they need an internal pump?

I don't know about the different models, but we have a Thetford cassette toilet and a bit of advice.... get a spare cassette, not cheap (i think we paid about £70) but essential!

The main difference between the various models is the method of flushing. Some have a tank which you have to fill the others use an 12 V electric pump connected to the water supply. Ours is the latter version, works well. I agree with Purple Fairie get a spare cassette.

Ken

ive used almost every toilet there is to use on a boat, electric flushing pump out type on hire boats, pump out manual sea toilets, straight through sea toilets, chemical toilets, ( ive never used a cassette type or composting type yet)

and by far the simplest, cheapest etc etc is the chemical toilet. its not plumbed in so you can move it around, its easy to change parts on... the spare base containers are cheaper than cassettes, you dont use excessive water when flushing, they arent too heavy to carry, you can easily see when its getting full, they dont smell bad as long as you put the right amount of chemical in. basically i cant think of a big negative other than they dont look "posh" like a porcelain bowl can.

with all the others i can think of definite downsides, dont bother with electrical toilets on a boat, theres no need,

flushing ones waste water like house toilets, cassette toilets fill up fast because of the flush system, sea toilets arent allowed on canals, pump out toilets cost money to empty and you have to find a place that can pump you out. and pump outs are no less smelly than any other method.

a sea toilet is great if you use rivers or estuaries/coastal work but you need to keep a stick handy as forcing a jobby down the tiny exit hole into the macerator can take a bit of skill.

This is the fairly standard one used on boats HERE

Thanks - that's cleared up a bit of confusion. Seems it is the C200CS I need.

That's the one we have!

And not trying to sound pedantic in any way ( :cheers: ) but with three of us on board most of the week and four at the weekends, we only have to empty our cassette twice a week. The trick is to train the kids not to hold the flush button down for ages! And buy the really cheap toilet roll, it breaks down quicker so you don't have 'lumps' :cheers: Also, as long as you keep them clean there is no smell. I give ours a wipe round with vinegar and lemon juice twice a week.... lovely!