Getting through Birmingham

Redbeard

Featured Posts

My wife and I are going to do the Warwickshire Ring this summer over a couple of weeks or so.

Anyone have any tips about getting through Birmingham (which we've never been through by canal before)? Where to moor, where not to; bits to be careful about - that sort of thing.

We'll be going round clockwise and have no overwheming preference as to which route to take (and time is not an issue) but I have heard that the Stratford Canal route is the better one.

I always enjoy Birmingham by boat, so try not to think of it in terms of "getting through" the city. True you'll probably be down the weed hatch more than once, but moorings in the city centre are great and the shops and attractions are only a short walk away.

We've done the Stratford Canal route a couple of times, but I can't comment on the Grand Union route, not having done that stretch.

The Lapworth flight is very pretty, and there are good moorings at Kingswood Jct and by the cricket ground up the flight. There's a long lock free pound from the top of the Lapworth right into Birmingham, but the approach to the city on the Worcs and Birmingham isn't a very good place to stop.

In the city centre, there are plenty of good moorings. Arriving late on one occasion, we ended up outside a nightclub near Gas Street Basin which was very noisy. Another time we stopped near Old Turn Jct, by some flats at the start of the main line. Being residential, it was much quieter. It doesn't really matter if you end up facing the wrong way here, as there are several loops you can use to turn round.

Heading out of Birmingham on the Birmingham and Fazely Canal, it's probably best not to stop for the night until you're beyond Minworth. Having said that, we made a water stop at some secure moorings at Cuckoo Wharf, at the bottom of the Aston Flight. They're residential moorings, but were empty when we were there. It may be different now.

I know lots of people don't like urban canals, but personally, I loved the Farmer's Bridge Locks, some of which are right underneath buildings. You also go right under spaghetti junction, completely un-noticed by the drivers above.

Enjoy your trip.

My wife and I are going to do the Warwickshire Ring this summer over a couple of weeks or so.

Anyone have any tips about getting through Birmingham (which we've never been through by canal before)? Where to moor, where not to; bits to be careful about - that sort of thing.

We'll be going round clockwise and have no overwheming preference as to which route to take (and time is not an issue) but I have heard that the Stratford Canal route is the better one.

There have been a few threads on similar topics, you may be able to find some by using the site's search facility.

I always prefer to go up the North Stratford route, the locks are easier and there are less of them. There are plenty of places to moor - such as Hockley Heath or at (my favourite) the Blue Bell. You can then go through to the centre of Birmingham quite easily (overnight mooring is not generally recommended towards Kings Norton Junction or between there and the city centre). You've time to use this as a base for exploring some of the BCN if you wish.

Then I'm assuming you're headiing down towards Fazeley, you can easily get down Farmers Bridge and Aston flights in a morning, and continue past Minworth Locks to a good mooring at, for example, the Kingsley by Wiggins Hill Bridge

Allan

Done both routes several times, and i also live in the area.

Personally, i would go the Stratford route, and moor in centre of Brum over night. Less stretching, and a more scenic route.

The Grand union route...is dirtier, and i've had too many bad experiences. It's a more stretching journey, as i wouldnt recommend stopping in between catherine-De-Barnes and Curdworth. (Personally)

Personally, i would go the Stratford route, and moor in centre of Brum over night. Less stretching, and a more scenic route.

The Grand union route...is dirtier, and i've had too many bad experiences. It's a more stretching journey, as i wouldnt recommend stopping in between catherine-De-Barnes and Curdworth. (Personally)

I've also done both routes several times.........Time wise there's nothing to speak of in the two routes.....One has more locks, the other greater mileage.

Gas Street Basin area is an unmissable experience so if you did go via Knowle/Camp Hill you could end up doing Farmers Bridge flight both up and down....not such a bad thing though, they are one of my favorite lock flights....

Gas Street Basin area is an unmissable experience so if you did go via Knowle/Camp Hill you could end up doing Farmers Bridge flight both up and down....not such a bad thing though, they are one of my favorite lock flights....

I'm glad I'm not alone. People usually look at me strangely when I say I really like the Farmers Bridge flight. But there are some very attractive bridges and I think there's something very appealing about going right underneath buildings and passing so close to people at work in their offices!

Edited by adam1uk

Thanks everyone for such a quick and helpful response.

I think we'll take the Stratford Canal route. "Getting through Birmingham" was just a figure of speech. Having spent many a time locked in Birmingham's traffic system I'm looking forward to viewing the city from a more civilised prospect!

Once again, thanks to everyone!

Cheers,

Redbeard.

I've also done both routes several times.........Time wise there's nothing to speak of in the two routes.....One has more locks, the other greater mileage.

No there isnt, but going the grand union route you would need to get from catherine de-barnes to curdworth in a day, as there arent any pleasant moorings in between.

Whereas going the other way, you can split the journey over 2 days by stopping at gas st.

Hence i find the grand union route more stretching....

No there isnt, but going the grand union route you would need to get from catherine de-barnes to curdworth in a day, as there arent any pleasant moorings in between.

I spent three nights at Sampson Road Depot/Camp Hill top lock a couple of years back....we poled across the cut and tied up under the canopy of the old transhipment warehouse.......Whilst there I spent a morning painting out the graffiti on the bricked up doorways in preparation for a heritage filming project. Had no problems with any local low life.....

I understand its also common for people to break the journey at Cuckoo Wharf.....

I spent three nights at Sampson Road Depot/Camp Hill top lock a couple of years back....we poled across the cut and tied up under the canopy of the old transhipment warehouse.......Whilst there I spent a morning painting out the graffiti on the bricked up doorways in preparation for a heritage filming project. Had no problems with any local low life.....

I understand its also common for people to break the journey at Cuckoo Wharf.....

Good point Neil,

The BW station at Camp Hill top lock has good shower and toilet facilities but is fenced off from the road. If you want to get out at night you have to go back across the canal to the towpath side. Might be worth it for the short walk for a good balti.

But despite the fences I have been told by a BW worker that local kids still get into the site and vandalise it. Never heard of them doing anything to a boat though.

Cuckoo Wharf has a basic toilet and shower (at least it did the last time I was there) but has some residential moorings and is on a fenced estate with a security guard. Not only is it safe, but the guard will let you in and out of the gate. The trouble is that unless you want to catch a bus into Brum there isn't really anywhere to go. The local pubs are very "basic" though there used to be a cafe next to the gate where I am told you can get a good bacon sarnie in the morning. Can't vouch for that as I am a veggie myself.

But kowaton is right in one way - I wouldn't call either of them "pleasant".

Norman

I guess its down to personal choice.

Pleasant for me is a rural mooring. Its also better for the dogs........

Gas St Basin though....is one of the best, if not the Best urban mooring i have come accross...with access to Brum centre, and i choice of dozens of restaurants and pubs.

Edited by kawaton