Everything about Gravity fed systems for heating with a backboiler

mascip

Featured Posts

26 minutes ago, zerozog said:

Hi all, new as new can be to boating. How do I know when to fill up my header tank? Any noises that are a sign?, cos I'm sure hearing some, ha.

By trial and error. Too much coolant is when it overflows when it expands when warm. Too little is when it lets air in to the system and air locks, stopping circulation, which might be what you are hearing, or something else entirely. Is this open vented, or a sealed system with a pressure cap?

• Greenie 1

On 26/10/2023 at 11:36, Jen-in-Wellies said:

By trial and error. Too much coolant is when it overflows when it expands when warm. Too little is when it lets air in to the system and air locks, stopping circulation, which might be what you are hearing, or something else entirely. Is this open vented, or a sealed system with a pressure cap?

hmm ok, header tank has no cap. Maybe i'll add water and find out

Thanks guys, I've filled up header tank, packed the stove with wood (on purpose), and realised the sounds = the water boiling because my furthest rad isn't working = airlock. So it boiled over, oh well.

I tried to bleed it but the bleeder screw is broken, probably from last owner so will get a new one. 

Now I am keeping the logs + coal going at a good level.

Big thanks for the advice and reassurance. 👍