Oakdale

kris88

Featured Posts

The model plans are Dutch and purchased in 1980 on a trip to the museum in Groningen, Holland. These plans are date '43, but they may well have been 1843, as the glossary of terms in the back of the book ('Met Zeil en Treil' by Frits R. Loomeijer) does not list loefhouder, (though it shows the same plans on page 122) and describes the plans as being of an 19thC Binnentjalk. The glossary does have loefbijter only, and the translation tells us: "protruding portion of the stem at the level of and below the waterline". Old word, new word - same job!

The Staverse Jol was the clearest of the several drawings in my few Dutch books that showed anything like the frames of a wooden boat in the fore end. Most show iron or steel boats. The drawings show it is round bottomed with a full length keel, hence the lack of lee boards.

• 6 months later...

It was not my intention to be offensive. I was just trying to clear up a few misunderstandings.

So, my apologies, Pluto, if I offended you.

You do, however, have an open invitation to visit Oakdale and have tea, sticky buns and a good look around Oakdale for yourself.

Hi I have just joined the Forum as I have recently been asked to help get some funding for Oakdale and saw your post. I manage the Facebook page for Burscough Canal Hub and Oakdale was laid up here for a while. Dave Keenan is current owner of Oakdale on Askam Sands and is looking for some physical help from volunteers if anyone is near there. You probably know him and he has now got some materials/ new wood ( I could be wrong but think he said larch) cut down and purchased from local Forestry . Dave does not use Facebook and you may already be involved, as your posts show so much informatiion, so apologies if that is the case.

Hi I have just joined the Forum as I have recently been asked to help get some funding for Oakdale and saw your post. I manage the Facebook page for Burscough Canal Hub and Oakdale was laid up here for a while. Dave Keenan is current owner of Oakdale on Askam Sands and is looking for some physical help from volunteers if anyone is near there. You probably know him and he has now got some materials/ new wood ( I could be wrong but think he said larch) cut down and purchased from local Forestry . Dave does not use Facebook and you may already be involved, as your posts show so much informatiion, so apologies if that is the case.

Coincidentally, I was planning on visiting Oakdale this weekend sometime, to see how work is progressing. I'll dress appropriately and get my hands dirty too if I'm lucky.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...