Adams

Featured Posts

Hello, I have a Lugger generator (Model number: M673LD3.5) and it keeps tripping out (or appearing to) when i switch to generator input - there isn't a load on it at that point and the fuse is intact. Any ideas? Does it just need a service?

Thank you for any help

If its only just started doing it then check selector switch wiring. If its always done it then check selector switch wiring.

Possible faults:

Incoming shore AC and generator AC conflict. Selector switch should have break before make contacts.

Earth/neutral strap is present when generator has centre tapped earth.

Could be another issue after selector switch but not enough info to speculate further.

Hello, I have a Lugger generator (Model number: M673LD3.5) and it keeps tripping out (or appearing to) when i switch to generator input - there isn't a load on it at that point and the fuse is intact. Any ideas? Does it just need a service?

Thank you for any help

You mean no power but the engine still running I assume.

I had a look at the back of the selector switch and couldn't see any loose wiring. Could it be internal? That selector switch works when i switch to invert (just not when i switch to generator charging the batteries).

Cheers

The oil is ok, the generator doesn't cut out when i switch to it inputting. It's not on the selector switch (shorepower/generator input) - that switches as per normal. But it's when i switch the switch that selects between invert and generator power. That switch works when i select to invert (but not when i switch to genny input). Does that indicate that it might be the actual switch? I checked the back of it but could see anything loose - could it be internal?

I had a look at the back of the selector switch and couldn't see any loose wiring. Could it be internal? That selector switch works when i switch to invert (just not when i switch to generator charging the batteries).

Cheers

The oil is ok, the generator doesn't cut out when i switch to it inputting. It's not on the selector switch (shorepower/generator input) - that switches as per normal. But it's when i switch the switch that selects between invert and generator power. That switch works when i select to invert (but not when i switch to genny input). Does that indicate that it might be the actual switch? I checked the back of it but could see anything loose - could it be internal?

You don't say if this is a new issue or if its always behaved this way during your ownership. If the latter I would suspect wiring in selector switch.

In any case if you can temporarily bypass the switch whilst maintaining live, neutral and earth connections to your distribution system it would be the best indication of faulty selector switch or its wiring.

Note that inverters and permanently installed generators typically have their nominal neutral connected to boat/hull earth for safety reasons. Some portable ones do have a centre tapped earth though and this earth/neutral strap if still in place when you select generator, would put a short on a half of the output which would certainly give cause to trip it electrically.

Not sure what you mean by no issues when generator is inputting unless you mean generator output connected to boat inlet but not selected on switch?

Hey, it's only recently started happening during my ownership. Not sure if it's a coincidence but there maybe a correlation time wise with when i changed the batteries (can't be sure on that and don't want to create a red herring)

By generator inputting (apologies for novice language) i meant creating/generating AC and charging the batteries.

It's a long shot granted but re temporarily bypassing the switch - is there a step by step instruction on how to do that anywhere online?

Hey, it's only recently started happening during my ownership. Not sure if it's a coincidence but there maybe a correlation time wise with when i changed the batteries (can't be sure on that and don't want to create a red herring)

By generator inputting (apologies for novice language) i meant creating/generating AC and charging the batteries.

It's a long shot granted but re temporarily bypassing the switch - is there a step by step instruction on how to do that anywhere online?

Doubtful - some understanding of AC wiring would help though. Basically you need to identify the generator input and the common output from switch that feeds your AC distribution system. Disconnect both sets from switch and connect together temporarily live, neutral and earth respectively. A suitable sized chocolate block connector would allow this. Maybe you know a competent person who could do this for you if unsure.

If after this bypass the problem persists you know you need to investigate further down the chain.

Thank you. I have a basic understanding of AC wiring plus i know of an experienced person that might be able to help also. That's certainly a place to investigate before proceeding further.

Your help has been great, really appreciate it, thank you very much for your advice/time.