Insulation?

Featured Posts

Okay, so in the bedroom/rear cabin of my GRP boat it has plywood walls and pine T+G ceiling. The ceiling has a couple of discoloured pine panels due to damp but easily sorted as I've found the same pine strips at B&Q which will match with a coat of varnish. The plywood walls however are a bit smelly and rank from the rainwater leak I'm currently sorting. The plywood walls are screwed onto some hardwood battons which seem to be in good condition so I'm going to replace the plywood with some 15mm marine ply which I can get for £12.50 per 8' x 4' board. There is about a 2' gap between the GRP hull and the ply so was thinking about insulating this with expanding foam (the stuff you buy in a spray can) Is it the same kind of stuff that narrowboat builders use for insulation?

Okay, so in the bedroom/rear cabin of my GRP boat it has plywood walls and pine T+G ceiling. The ceiling has a couple of discoloured pine panels due to damp but easily sorted as I've found the same pine strips at B&Q which will match with a coat of varnish. The plywood walls however are a bit smelly and rank from the rainwater leak I'm currently sorting. The plywood walls are screwed onto some hardwood battons which seem to be in good condition so I'm going to replace the plywood with some 15mm marine ply which I can get for £12.50 per 8' x 4' board. There is about a 2' gap between the GRP hull and the ply so was thinking about insulating this with expanding foam (the stuff you buy in a spray can) Is it the same kind of stuff that narrowboat builders use for insulation?

Wouldn't it take a lot of cans, depending on the area? How about using celotex/kingspan rigid insulation, then filling any gaps with the foam, cutting level then taping all the joints with the aluminium tape?

Jamescheers.gif

Wouldn't it take a lot of cans, depending on the area? How about using celotex/kingspan rigid insulation, then filling any gaps with the foam, cutting level then taping all the joints with the aluminium tape?

Jamescheers.gif

Yes, a much better and much less messy solution. Stick the kingsan or cellotex onto the grp with marineflex or stixall from Toolstation.

Edited by blackrose