Rope buttons etc...the maintenance of

PeterDHS

Featured Posts

After this summers trip down the OXford I realise my un-treated 5 year old rope bumpers are a bit shredded and rotted in places. Perhaps I should have gone for synthetic rope but it didn't look or feel right.

Anyway the question to you peeps is what should I treat them with to stop the rot ? or have I left it too late now strands are weak enough to break off by hand ?

Any and all views gratefully recieved.

Peter

If they are weak enough to tear apart by hand I would say the usefulness is long gone.

I treat ours, when the boat is laid up for winter, with creocote, e.g.

http://www.toolstation.com/shop/p80210?utm_source=bing&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=marin&mkwid=9VgdZB1g&pcrid=8090519215&pkw=creocote&pmt=e

I have an old washing up bowl I let the fenders soak in.

If possible do it in the garden shed otherwise it will stink the house out.

If the covers are shot, it is possible to have them re-covered, as long as the cores are still sound. I can put you in touch with fender maker Joe Hollingshead, he could easily do this for you if you can get them to Wolverhampton where he lives. I've always used clear wood preserver to treat our fenders, 14 years on they are still looking reasonable. PM me if I can help further.

Cheers

Dave

Thanks for the prompt replies.

Yes, it is mainly the vertical windings on the front bumper (there must be a name for it !) that are sheared and rotted). I think (hope) the core is still sound.

I think I will attempt to replace these as they seem to just wrap over, and conveniently through the loop in the support chains. Might need a little tying in to prevent them moving sideways under stress. Then I have gallons of wood preservative in the garage somewhere.

Messy job but I guess it has to be done.

Bit surprised it failed on the Oxford as most gates have smooth rubbing plates fitted, unlike my home waters on the Soar, then again I suppose I would not have let the boat rise/fall on the gate on the Soar.

Not too old to admit it is bad practise.

We've had a section of old tyre round our front button since the boat was new. The builder fitted it after treating front & rear fenders with creosote.

He told us to re-treat the fenders every couple of years. We have & they've lasted 10 years.

Edit to say: the old tyre only lasted about 5 years but I fitted a replacement which I cut from an old car tyre. The remainder of that awaits the need to replace the replacement!

Edited by trackman