Tidal Trent

Speedwell

Featured Posts

We are thinking of travelling the Tidal Trent as part of our summer cruise this year. Has anybody got any useful tips, particularly with refrence to current speeds and is it easier to keep with the tide when travelling upstream or downstream. We did the tidal Ouse from Selby to York a few years ago so comparisons with this should be useful

hi,

if you have been selby to york, you kind of know what your up against on the trent.....

I only ever like to go out of keadby and towards cromwell.....did it the other way once and it was hairy to say the least, but it was winter time!

if you are going to newark, do it in 2 hops, its extremely tiring doing it in one day.

try to travel with another boat if you can......its comforting knowing they are there if you should need them, and make sure you have all the relevant phone numbers of lockies etc. (and life jackets too!) and the all important anchor.

also dont cut your corners.......keep an eye behind for fast moving working barges, they come up on you in no time....and bare in mind the river does narrow going through certain places therefore the flow seems faster ......

importantly listern to the locky.

ps sawley marina have the tidal trent maps and notes.... I can recommend getting hold of some from somewhere if you can.

The Trent floods for about 3 hours and ebbs for 10 and a half.

I went up to Keadby a couple of weeks ago to practice the route and also to get a tide table. The sliding train track (its worth the trip just to see that). :D

has had some hydraulic problems and it is worth checking in at the signal box at the swing bridge about 5 miles from Keadby and have the signal man phone ahead. This means that if they have to call out their hydraulics man he is there at the same time you are.

The Trent Bore can occur at spring tides runs up to a couple of feet high, travelling a speed. So you need a tide table to plan your trip away from the spring tides. Again as Wynd Lass says listen to the lock keepers. I plan to arrive at least the day before wanting to go out onto the Trent and make sure I have everyting ready.

I had a look at the Trent in full flood - man that is fast. I guess when you come out of Keadby you will have to keep this in mind and be ready with plenty of power. :D

I have splashed out on the chart book for the section Cromwell to Keadby (mail order from the Trent Boating Assn.) and it is amazing the amount of information in there which will keep you on the right track (literally and figuratively). Worth the few pounds.

Don't forget the life jackets / floatation aids for everyone onboard - and do wear them.

The Barge Inn at Keadby has just changed hands and the food is good standard pub grub but the chips are to die for, fantastic. :lol:

Don't forget the navigation lights as well.

I would second the advice regarding travelling with another boat un less you have complete confidence in your own. I have toed two boats on the tidal trent with broken engines! this journey both times on the ebb from torksey to West Stokwith, getting in the lock was interesting. On that point if you are comng in at WS and are unsure about getting in the lock you can always pull along side the wall and be roped in.

Gary

If you've done Selby then the Trent is easier.

There is a BW leaflet about the technique for getting into Keadby and West Stockwith locks. Do not try any other technique unless you want to crash into the wall. Basically it is, approach against the current/tide about 15-20 feet away from and parallel to the bank. When the bow is opposite the middle of the lock, turn and use full throttle to get into the lock.

At West Stockwith Lock the lock keeper will ususally guide you into the lock, either visually or on VHF, if you have come downstream and are approaching the lock going upstream against the outgoing current. If you have come upstream from Keadby and are approaching going downstream against the incoming tide, then they will offer to take a rope to stop you crashing into the wall.

The Trent does funny things like the high water level can fall before the surface current has turned. This is because the current underneath turns first. This probably explains why the tide can turn very fast,

Phil

Thank you all for your replies, of which I am taking note.

I only ever like to go out of keadby and towards cromwell.....did it the other way once and it was hairy to say the least

Thank you Wyndd lass, that certainly agrees with our experience of the Ouse, so we are planning to go upstream with the flood and try to arrive at our destination lock at or near the top of the tide.

If you've done Selby then the Trent is easier.

I'm glad to hear that Phil

Has anybody come across current speed information for various states of the tide, which I could use to work out passage times. I know the lock keeper will tell me but I prefer to some idea of the answer first and my experience of lock keeper advice has been rather mixed

I've not seen any current speed information. When going upstream with the tide I have used a GPS to tell me my actual speed and adjust it so that I arrive at the desired time. The currents I have experienced are typically about 5mph. I suspect that they don't vary much as the tide turns very quickly.

The reason for using a rope when entering West Stockwith going downstream against the tide is that there is a back eddy along the quay upstream of the lock. This is not a problem at the other locks.

Phil

Thanks for that Phil. That's useful info. Do you happen to remember the tide condition relative to Springs or Neaps. I am hoping not to go anywhere against the tide as it's too tough for the engine and we can't manage 5mph for long anyway.

Arthur

• 3 weeks later...

Hiya,

I am presently planning a sea kayak trip down the Trent from Derbyshire to Cleethorpes in May on behalf of the RNLI. Obviously flows are critical to us (max paddling speed is ~4 knots).

Re the tidal section. The Trent Boaters Association has a good Chart series I was looking at over the weekend. IT worth getting them (Sawley Marina have them at @£6).

Re flows - The Trent floods for 2.25 hrs and ebbs the rest of the time. Cromwell Lock HW is Hull +5hrs and this drops approx 1hr for every 10 miles heading back down the Trent.

Something I am considering is following the Ebb down and mooring up when HW is coming back up for a long lunch.

I am awaiting the Environment Agency / Association of British Ports for further information on the currents in the tidal Trent. When I have more i'll try and post it here. Unless someone else obtains it first.

S.