post/banking

gary4lw

Featured Posts

Right you liveaboards and permanent cruisers, post and banking what do you lot do then?????????? :rolleyes:

Post- Poste restante to nearest post office

Banking- address is me ma's, can't get credit, credit card, or anything like that. Make sure your sorted for stuff like that before untying.

Right you liveaboards and permanent cruisers, post and banking what do you lot do then?????????? :rolleyes:

Eh! What?

Its not compulsory is it?

Seriously, many banks (we use LloydsTSB) have facilities whereby you can access and manage your accounts and statements on line and not receive paper statements in the post at all - this is really useful.

Some credit card companies do this too.

We are presently engaged in an excercise to cut out as much incoming mail as possible so anything we can do entirely on line is a bonus.

You do need a permanent address somewhere - if only to keep your basic rights.

Just imagine being stopped for by the Police for some minor misdemeanor and having to admit that you were of 'No Fixed Abode' - they could lock you up!

We still have our house at present but we are hoping to get rid of it this year - our plan then is to use the address of a considerate relative. The Royal Mail will redirect our post to an address of our choosing indefinately (provided we pay for the service - but its only about £35 a year) so we won't need to frighten our creditors by telling them immediately that we are living on our boat permanently. We have already ascertained that we can stay with the same Doctor so that will be a great help - and once the house has been sold we don't expect to get nearly as much in the post anyway.

:blush:

Hi

Already do all banking, bill paying on-line, have just filled in form to re-direct mail to our 'new' address' (our daughters house).

The maximum time they (the royal mail) will re-direct is 2 years, so you will need to find a way of having a 'permanent' address.

Cost for re-direction is in months: 1@ £6.90, 3@ £15.10, 6@ £23.25 and 12@ £34.90 you then have to re apply.

The charge is also per surname, so if there are two of you with different surnames the cost is doubled, they also are required by law to inform other government departments, D W & P and H M R C etc.

Get every thing in place before you give up the old address, rules on money laundering etc. require financial concerns to check whether you live where you say

Edited by bottle

We still have our house at present but we are hoping to get rid of it this year

How do you make the finances work?

House worth £X,000 - sell it, buy boat with money.

Live aboard for n years until too old to cope.

Sell boat - now worth much less in real terms.

Look at buying another house - with house price increases, money raised from boat will not even buy small flat. :rolleyes:

Money doesn't work that hard when its tied up in a house. Houses are no better than boats in that they cost a lot of money to keep and maintain. We are fortunate in that we already have the boat which is paid for and no longer need the house which is also paid for - so when we do sell the house we can invest the equity at a rate that will give a reasonable growth and be rid of the costs and worry that go with keeping am empty house. Certainly we don't regard the boat as an investment but it may retain some of its value . . .

House worth £X,000 - sell it, buy boat with money.

Live aboard for n years until too old to cope.

Sell boat - now worth much less in real terms.

Look at buying another house - with house price increases, money raised from boat will not even buy small flat. ;)

We have thought of all the above but are still going ahead with the sale of the house.

We are slightly worse off than Graham in the fact that we do not already own a boat (the house is paying for that and the 'leftovers' will be invested)

The boat is also an investment, not in monetary terms, in our lives.

I should also tell you that I have taken early retirement (forced) and will be continuously cruising so that will 'save' about £2,000 a year on marina fees :rolleyes::lol:

We may not be able to cope in the years ahead but will worry about that when/if it happens, our existing bungalow has twenty steps up to the front door we may not have been able to cope with that in the future either.

I have spent to much of my life 'worrying' and am now just going to take a chance.

:blush:

For the post, you can rent a PO Box number and have your mail directed to a local post office (£56 per year).

http://www.royalmail.com/portal/rm/jump2?c...ediaId=14400223

You will probably need a cooperative friend or relative who will let you use their address as an original fixed address in order to set it up though. Once set up, their letter box shouldn't be troubled again. Not sure about the banking stuff. Again, probably need a friend or relative who will let you use their address to start with, then the PO box number could kick in for statement deliveries etc.

We may not be able to cope in the years ahead but will worry about that when/if it happens, our existing bungalow has twenty steps up to the front door we may not have been able to cope with that in the future either.

I have spent to much of my life 'worrying' and am now just going to take a chance.

:rolleyes:

Fantastic way of looking at life. Good for you !

I have always used a friends address and that is usually where I work, so generally in the vicinity the boat is too. Important things come to the office (like non official stuff!) and less important things (bills, statements etc) go to my friends address. I do all my banking on line.

I have virtually no post, just my mobile phone bill, credit card statement and my pension statement quarterly. oh and the vet sends me a reminder once a year for me to take the dog for vaccinations.

however i do have a car and the tax reminder gets sent there

a full list of things i have registered to the address but receive no or very little post for are:

credit cards

bank accounts

car log book, and car insurance

company pension

my work payroll

ebay and paypal

mobile phone

boat finance

vet

doctor

dentist

hospital ( for my gammy knee)

my old flat has a separate area for post and my best friend still lives there. so i just nip in once a week and pick up the post.

I do my banking on line and if i buy stuff on ebay and need it to be posted i just get it delivered to my office ( in fact i used to do that anyway when i lived in the flat)

nothing has changed at all really for me, apart from not paying council tax, im not sure if im still on the electoral register.

it is pretty important to have an address though, this society isnt able to cope with people who dont have addresses. it doesnt "compute"

it annoys me, but theres not much choice really.