Knotty

Featured Posts

I make my own dips to go with my fave dish up

First theres the onion salad.. for 2 people

1 large onion

1/4 cucumber

2 x tomatos

1 Tablespoon Mint sauce

Chop them up and stir in the sauce.. :rolleyes: Nicer if kept in fridge for a while first to

Then theres the raifta sauce ( sorry if spelt wrong)

1 small tub of natural Yogurt

1/4 cucumber

teaspoon sugar ( pref castor but I use granulated aswell) adlib to taste..or leave out if wanted

teaspoon mint sauce

Chop and Mix :blush:

If you like cooking your own currys like myself!...I actually got recommened...tried...and loved.. some Curry kits there are for sale through ebay. (I use Naz's currys) they are basically a little box of spices aimed at your particular dish ie: Korma

I found them 100% better than any jar/paste and really quite like your local takeaway

You simply chop your onions then add the spices..fry up..add the chicken/lamb/beef and coconut milk, cream,water or maybe tin of chopped tomatoes pending on what dish you have chosen... leave to simmer and then enjoy!

Edited by Knotty

If you like cooking your own currys like myself ... some Curry kits are for sale ... I found them 100% better than any jar/paste and really quite like your local takeaway

Oh you don't wanna do it like that....

I prefer to use whole seeds, cumin, coriander, fenugreek etc. or a panch phoran, dry fry in a small pan until they start popping then smash'em to bits in a cast iron mortar.

Oh you don't wanna do it like that....

I prefer to use whole seeds, cumin, coriander, fenugreek etc. or a panch phoran, dry fry in a small pan until they start popping then smash'em to bits in a cast iron mortar.

mines marble.... doing them yourself is the only way.

I love the sound of the dips though - I will give them a go.

Edited by Bones

NOt tried making them from absolute scratch!

My other half likes them very hot

I'm a korma/tikka/mild wimp!

Have you any recipe ideas to make any of the above from scratch??

Thanks! x

p.s dips are yummy!

My other half likes them very hot

I'm a korma/tikka/mild wimp!

Have you any recipe ideas to make any of the above from scratch??

Thanks! x

p.s dips are yummy!

Edited by Knotty

Get hold of a copy of "Madhur Jaffrey's Ultimate Curry Bible".

The recipies are really good and easy and they work.

The list of ingredients is very long in many of them but you can usually get them all in a supermarket.

Do not be put off by the amounts of spices etc she uses as the odd handfull of this and that may worry you if you normally use them by the pinch, just try them and see, you will be amazed how good they taste compared to shop bought gloop.

Amazon

Peter V

Edited by PeterV

Not tried making them from absolute scratch!

Have you any recipe ideas?

Sorry, I never use recipes.

Open a bottle of NewkyBrown to allow it to breathe, test as required.

Cube some chicken breasts (or whatever your choice is) into a bowl, add half a large tub of natural yoghurt, some paprika, turmeric, ground ginger, ground coriander, hint of chilli or whatever happens to be around, a glug of lemon juice and a splash of vinegar, coconut milk if you've got any, stir it up and leave for a few hours.

Check the Newky is at the correct temperature (which is all down to personal preference).

Meanwhile, melt a dollop of ghee into a pan and soften up a couple of onions (finely chopped) and half a bulb of garlic (crushed). Double-check the Newky (can't be too careful).

In a small frying pan, dry fry an assortment of whatever seeds take your fancy until they start popping then grind 'em to dust. Chuck that in with the onions, half a handful of mixed herbs, chopped celery, peppers, butternut squash, mushrooms or whatever happens to be in the fridge and soften it all down.

Check the Newky hasn't gone off. Open another if you've tested too much.

In a small saucepan, parboil some cubed spuds then chuck them in the main pot together with the tairter wairter, add a tin of chopped tomatoes, drained tin of chick peas, bit of pineapple and a glug of wine if there's any left from last night. If not, open another.

Leave that to simmer for an hour or so, and go get another beer.

Scoop the chicken out of the marinade into a wok or pan of choice and cook it through. Add the marinade and simmer for a while, then chuck that all into the main pan. Leave to simmer and go get a Scotch.

Turn the hob off 'cos you really can't be bothered starting on the rice now and get out the cheese and bikkies instead (and maybe a drop of Port).

The curry is always much better the following day.

Sorry, I never use recipes.

Open a bottle of NewkyBrown to allow it to breathe, test as required.

Cube some chicken breasts (or whatever your choice is) into a bowl, add half a large tub of natural yoghurt, some paprika, turmeric, ground ginger, ground coriander, hint of chilli or whatever happens to be around, a glug of lemon juice and a splash of vinegar, coconut milk if you've got any, stir it up and leave for a few hours.

Check the Newky is at the correct temperature (which is all down to personal preference).

Meanwhile, melt a dollop of ghee into a pan and soften up a couple of onions (finely chopped) and half a bulb of garlic (crushed). Double-check the Newky (can't be too careful).

In a small frying pan, dry fry an assortment of whatever seeds take your fancy until they start popping then grind 'em to dust. Chuck that in with the onions, half a handful of mixed herbs, chopped celery, peppers, butternut squash, mushrooms or whatever happens to be in the fridge and soften it all down.

Check the Newky hasn't gone off. Open another if you've tested too much.

In a small saucepan, parboil some cubed spuds then chuck them in the main pot together with the tairter wairter, add a tin of chopped tomatoes, drained tin of chick peas, bit of pineapple and a glug of wine if there's any left from last night. If not, open another.

Leave that to simmer for an hour or so, and go get another beer.

Scoop the chicken out of the marinade into a wok or pan of choice and cook it through. Add the marinade and simmer for a while, then chuck that all into the main pan. Leave to simmer and go get a Scotch.

Turn the hob off 'cos you really can't be bothered starting on the rice now and get out the cheese and bikkies instead (and maybe a drop of Port).

The curry is always much better the following day.

Ive got so many indian recipe books they're taking over the kitchen!

I used to use them faithfully but now i tend to do as moley said and just chuck in whatever you have handy. They always seem to turn out the best but trouble is, you can never reproduce them.

We're always saying things like...remember that curry we made from the 3 day old xmas turkey 2 years ago? Wish we could do another like that...people talked about it for weeks! Yes, and didnt get off the loo thats probably why :rolleyes:....sorry!

My favourite curries are really hot but with some sweetness in them too. Chicken Pathia is my alltime fave....quite partial to a sag prawn too.

Our local indian is just down the road and is a little TOO handy sometimes especially when on a lacklustre health kick!

Great recipe moley, I wonder does it work if I swap the newky brown for some wine?? Or I could just stick to port ( hmmm) ! hehe

Get hold of a copy of "Madhur Jaffrey's Ultimate Curry Bible".

The recipies are really good and easy and they work.

The list of ingredients is very long in many of them but you can usually get them all in a supermarket.

Do not be put off by the amounts of spices etc she uses as the odd handfull of this and that may worry you if you normally use them by the pinch, just try them and see, you will be amazed how good they taste compared to shop bought gloop.

Amazon

Peter V

I think that is defo going on my brithday/christmas list ( or mothers day ahh haaa!!)

Great recipe moley, I wonder does it work if I swap the newky brown for some wine?? Or I could just stick to port ( hmmm) ! hehe

It works with just about anything you fancy :rolleyes:

“I always cook with wine. Sometimes I even put it in the food”

W.C. Fields

Oh, and another of his:

“Once, in the wilds of Afghanistan, we lost the corkscrew, and had to survive for a week on nothing but food and water”

Hmmm. I have a slight problem with Moley's recipe, delicious as it may sound.

I don't have NewkyBrown - will Guinness do?

No Scotch either - Is Gordon's an acceptable substitute?

As for wine, I only have Chateau Neuf du Pape, which is rather palatable, and I'm a bit reluctant to consign it to a curry.

So, what can you suggest for a 1.5 litre bottle of Lambrini & a box of KwikSave economy fish fingers?

Janet

Hmmm. I have a slight problem with Moley's recipe, delicious as it may sound.

I don't have NewkyBrown - will Guinness do?

No Scotch either - Is Gordon's an acceptable substitute?

As for wine, I only have Chateau Neuf du Pape, which is rather palatable, and I'm a bit reluctant to consign it to a curry.

So, what can you suggest for a 1.5 litre bottle of Lambrini & a box of KwikSave economy fish fingers?

Janet

eat out my dear... it is the only answer!

I've just checked my madras from last night and it is still quite steamy - yum!

Janet

How's about a dead duck and some anti-freeze?

:blush:

Or a an underground rodent and a splash of single malt...

(optional cube of ice...)

(:rolleyes:Quick, scarper! ;) )

Until a couple of years ago, I had an Indian girlfriend, and she tought me a few authentic gujarati curries.

Here`s one :

2 chicken breasts diced 1" cubes

2 pototoes diced 1" cubes

2 onions, 1 finely diced, 1 sliced

4 x cloves

4 x cinemon sticks ( matchstick sized )

2 x green chillies ( de-seed for a milder curry )

4 or 5 cloves of garlic

1 teaspoon of fresh ginger ( i use the stuff in a jar )

1 can chopped tomatoes, blended to a liquid

1/2 tsp turmeric

1 tsp ceyen pepper

1 tsp cumin powder

1 tsp corriander powder

1/2 to 1 tsp salt

Heat 1 tablespoon of oil in a large saucepan

Add cloves, cinemon, onions and half the garlic and soften the onions

Add tomatoes, turmeric, ceyen pepper, cumin, corriander, chillies and salt.

Add potatoes and simmer for 10-15 mins

Add chicken and simmer for another 15 mins or so, until potatoes and chicken are cooked through.

Serve with boiled rice, naan or peratha.

Enjoy :rolleyes:

( i have it on the go as we speek )

Edited by greyowl

grey owl - would it matter too much if I left the potato and tomato out of the recipe? (allergic you see). I can't imagine they are essential to it, but thought I'd check before making it.

sounds gorgeous.

Hi Bones

Certainly you can leave the potatoes out, i do sometimes. You can swap the chicken for lamb too :rolleyes:

The tomatoes form the basis of the sauce, although you could substitute them with soaked chick peas or lentils i suppose, never tried it....give it a go, it can only go horribly wrong ;)

Another Indian trick is to add lemon juice if it`s a bit on the hot side, that takes the edge off the chillies :blush: