Jotun Hardtop AX

Featured Posts

Anyone out there had any experience with Jotun Hardtop AX?

Last year I painted my roof with an industrial/automative polyurethane 2 pack and have been very pleased with it from a durability point of view. The problem was, try as I might, I couldn't get a decent finish out of it. (The manufacturers claimed you could paint with a roller and brush but to be honest, it really needed to be sprayed).I added sand to the roof paint for grip so the finish didn't matter very much but I now want to paint the cabin sides so obviously, the finish is important.

So my challenge at the moment is to find a 2 pack that can be painted with a brush and roller. (I don't really like the sprayed look I'm afraid but want the 2 pack for durability).

Also interested to know if it can be applied over red oxide. The manufacturer recommends their own primer but they would, wouldn't they.

Any suggestions much appreciated.

Also interested to know if it can be applied over red oxide. The manufacturer recommends their own primer but they would, wouldn't they.

They would because it's a waste of time and money painting an expensive two-part epoxy topcoat over a basic single part red oxide primer.

Jotun paints are amongst the best, but you must use the correct prep and paint system.

Edited by blackrose

I have Jotun on mine and the finish is not great because rollers and brushes were used. It is very difficult to keep the paint finish flat. I have just blacked mine and when we pressure washed it off the steel was like new. After being in the water for 4 years and not a single pit mark justifies the cost of the original paint specification.

I have Jotun on mine and the finish is not great because rollers and brushes were used. It is very difficult to keep the paint finish flat. I have just blacked mine and when we pressure washed it off the steel was like new. After being in the water for 4 years and not a single pit mark justifies the cost of the original paint specification.

Hi

Thanks for the input. Which Jotun paint did you use exactly? Hardtop AS is quite new but my fear is that I am going to have the same finish problems as you describe and which I found with the other 2 pack I used.

Hi

Thanks for the input. Which Jotun paint did you use exactly? Hardtop AS is quite new but my fear is that I am going to have the same finish problems as you describe and which I found with the other 2 pack I used.

1 x 4.7L Jotamastic 87 Aluminium std.Comp B

3 x Jotamastic 87 red std. Comp B

3 x Jotamastic 87 black std. Comp B

1 x 5L (nom) Hardtop AS black

1 x 5L (nom) Penguard TC black

Actually it's for the cabin sides largely above the gunwhales up to the roof (which I'm happy with). I think Old Son has answered my question though. Which is - is it possible to get a nice flat finish with Jotun Hardtop AS using brush and roller..