Glasson branch now closed ufn!

frangar

Featured Posts

This is rather annoying but necessary given the low water levels here on the Lancaster at the moment:

Please be advised that the Glasson Lock Flight will be closed to navigation to conserve water on the Lancaster Canal during the Lune Aqueduct closure.

Please follow this link to view the closure notice for Lune Aqueduct: https://canalrivertrust.org.uk/notice/3767/lune-aqueduct-lancaster-canal

Staff will assist passage on the Glasson Flight between 8am and 10am over the weekend and an update will be issued on Monday 6 July 2015.

Was quite looking forward to a visit down there!

Cheers

Gareth

Thats a bummer.But to be honest l am surprised this was not done before, boats continued to use the locks without waiting to share them l know this is not always convenient.but if this had happened they might have been able to keep them open longer. water levels are still dropping.l should imagine that the R/Link uses a lot every time too.

Well they best not just close the link! I won't be only one who won't be too impressed.....

The level is down but we are still managing ok and we draw 2ft 8in....just taking it slow and watching where we moor.

Cheers

Gareth

Update on 03/07/2015:

Further to the update from Wednesday 1 July, the remainder of the fish have now been relocated to safety.

The over pumping system has taken time to install due to the size of the pipe work and distance over which it is required. The team on site has now confirmed that we have three, eight inch / 300mm diameter pumps feeding 15 mega litres of water per day across the affected section of canal.

Over the weekend, we will continue to install access to the working area which will include installation of approximately 100m of bog mats. This will allow excavation works to commence on Monday.

An update will be issued on Monday 6 July 2015.

Quite a few boats around the Galgate area now sitting on the Bottom.

Edited by 14skipper

Update on 06/07/2015:

Please be advised that the Glasson Lock Flight will remain closed to navigation to conserve water on the Lancaster Canal during the Lune Aqueduct closure.

Please follow this link to view the closure notice for Lune Aqueduct: https://canalrivertrust.org.uk/notice/3767/lune-aqueduct-lancaster-canal

Staff will assist passage on the Glasson Flight between 8am and 10am daily and an update will be issued on Wednesday 8 July 2015.

Sorry about that Gareth ,not sure how staff will assist if flight is closed,saw you go past this morning before the rains came again.

Edited by 14skipper

Update on 06/07/2015:

Further to our update of 3 July, the over-pumping is now in operation and is refilling the downstream pound at the rate of 15 mega litres per day. This will mean the water level situation is improving. However, it may take up to next weekend to return to normal.

Over the weekend the access has been installed on the canal bed from the site compound on Halton Road and excavation of silt in the failed section of canal bed commenced.

An inspection meeting will take place to tomorrow morning to agree the final extent of repair. The contractors have the standard repair detail and are sourcing clay material to ensure repair can start immediately.

The towpath remains open.

An update will be issued on Wednesday 8 July.

I was wondering about the passage bit! Seemed a bit confused...

Sorry if I didn't say hi...where were you?

Cheers.

GarethW

Was laying new floor in a boat at galgate,now on my way to south to work on another boat.(should add travelling by car).

Just to add to this thread....

Spoke to the ever helpful Lynne at Wigan today who said glasson branch wasn't shut but just has assisted passage every morning 8-10. When I pointed out stoppage notice was confusing she said she would look into it. Apparently boats have been going down.

The level has come back up almost to normal here at Lancaster today so I'm hoping the updates tomorrow will clarify the opening etc.

Will post back here as I find stuff out.

Cheers

Gareth