Wigg Island,Runcorn

nebulae

Featured Posts

Recently visited Wigg island,to see what was left of the Able flat left on the Mersey foreshore.Just a few ribs showing now,sadly. While there,I noticed that the river had cut into the mud downriver of the wreck. Looked like a section of a Little Packet hull.(but could be a piece of industrial junk?) I know it was common practice to cut up old boats on the foreshore. I remember all the boats from Liverpool Docks being cut up on the Widnes bank.

Interesting photo"s.Thanks for posting.The lower photo looks like the Widnes shore,near to the dock between the Sankey Canal and Fiddlers Ferry? I presume the upper picture would show Runcorn Bridge,if it panned slightly to the right?I recognise the flats on the Runcorn shore. Unless my memory fails me,the flat on Wigg Island was fairly complete in 1972 .I checked the Widnes shore at low tide to see if there are any remnants of the Liverpool Docks vessels broken up there.I remember seeing a stern post with a propellor still attached,sitting in the mud mid 1970s. Can not see anything now.

Yes,Bedale is the one I was thinking of. 1974 would be around the time I first visited the site .I was looking for the remains of the Runcorn and Latchford Canal on Wigg Island at the time.(There was a Vshaped bit left on Wigg Island) I believe that it was joined by a syphon to the remains of the canal towards Warrington.When the Ship Canal was built, they had to ensure a supply of fresh water from the non tidal Mersey,to the I.C.I. sulphuric acid works,hence up to the time the works closed the isolated bits of the Runcord and Latchford still had some water in them..I remember stacks of glass carboys outside the works after they closed.Big changes in that area over the last 30 years.Hard to believe that the Old Quay yard has almost completely gone,replaced with blocks of flats.All the service vessels that used to moor there all gone for scrap (Except the Daniel Adamson.) The only remains seem to be the side slip on the side arm. Cant imagine it could still be used,no sign of winches or the carriage .I remember getting a mate to cut up some timber for me on the bandsaw in Old Quay yard.Biggest saw I have ever seen.Gone for scrap,no doubt.

A bit off topic, but we used to test out our race sidecar on Wiggs island in the late 70s...

I wasn't really interested in boats back then so unfortunately don't have anything constructive to add,

but thanks for the nostalgic views of my home town (widnes)

I guess the ships were how the Evans's and Krailius's made a start on the 'ugly sisters' that once greeted visitors

that ventured over the bridge...

Andy

• 1 year later...

A couple of views from 1975:

gallery_6938_2_82560.jpggallery_6938_2_31138.jpgthe top two photos are At Widnes Wharf Spike Island also in the top photo the flat remains furtest away from the camera are near the water is The Eustace Carry built at Clare And Ridgeway Sankey in 1905, Eustace Carry was a Jigger Mersey Flatpost-27474-0-78156700-1476807418_thumb.jpg The Larger Double masted flat in the photo is a Mersey Jigger flat

Edited by Mirithehamster

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 4 months later...
On 7/1/2015 at 19:03, nebulae said:

Yes,Bedale is the one I was thinking of. 1974 would be around the time I first visited the site .I was looking for the remains of the Runcorn and Latchford Canal on Wigg Island at the time.(There was a Vshaped bit left on Wigg Island) I believe that it was joined by a syphon to the remains of the canal towards Warrington.When the Ship Canal was built, they had to ensure a supply of fresh water from the non tidal Mersey,to the I.C.I. sulphuric acid works,hence up to the time the works closed the isolated bits of the Runcord and Latchford still had some water in them..I remember stacks of glass carboys outside the works after they closed.Big changes in that area over the last 30 years.Hard to believe that the Old Quay yard has almost completely gone,replaced with blocks of flats.All the service vessels that used to moor there all gone for scrap (Except the Daniel Adamson.) The only remains seem to be the side slip on the side arm. Cant imagine it could still be used,no sign of winches or the carriage .I remember getting a mate to cut up some timber for me on the bandsaw in Old Quay yard.Biggest saw I have ever seen.Gone for scrap,no doubt.

I believe the Rudder From Bedale Ended up ast Spike mounted on stone, cause the one in the photo looks like the rudder from Bedale rudder spike island widnes west bank in the 1980s.

rudder spike island widnes west bank in the 1980s.jpg