CRT's useless online renewal system...

Delta9

Featured Posts

When I, rarely, collect my mail entering the 'renewal code' online has always worked. OTOH I see no need for this security device; if someone wants to access my account and pay for my licence, good luck to them.

I will not hear a word said against the licensing staff in the Leeds Office; despite inadequate computer systems they are personable, friendly, helpful and efficient.

True, it costs me nothing to renew online but 30ppm to call them on my PAYG 'phone but a £3 call usually results in issue of a licence. Call them in Office Hours, explain your situation, nicely, and you will get the 10% discount.

Alan

• Greenie 1

Hey, think of us BSS examiners. We have record fun. I just did one on a Norman. I had the past certificate but the boat doesnt exist on the data base. So new boat entry, fill in a myriad of information. Hopefully not duplicaing. Grrrrr.

Using email address as an identifier is an area paved with issues but many (not just CRT) go on using it.

The problem is that an awful lot of "mis-spelt" emails still get through. Most email providers are not case sensitive so (for the sake of argument) if I had registered at CWF with "1st.ADe@gmail.com" (not my real address) I'd still get emails but they would (or may) not recognise 1st.Ade as the same user.

Google muddy the water still more as they ignore periods (".") in email address's. So 1.st.Ade is the same as 1st.Ade is the same as 1stAde is the same as 1.stADE.

Short of having a huge database of email providers, I don't think there is an easy way for a website owner to work out if the email address you type in online will route to the one they have on record unless they are identical. So a slight typo when registering may work fine right up until you need the "please confirm your email" feature.

Just had the same experience - email doesn't match the one I registered with, even though they just emailed me at the same address. While the person I spoke to was pleasant enough, they told me that the licensing team were busy and I should wait 2-3 working days for a call back, rather than trying again, which is a bit frustrating. Glad I am trying to get this sorted now for a license that expires at the end of August, rather than leaving it to the last minute as I've done in the past.