Looking for a thermostat for a JP

George94

Featured Posts

My engine cooling water can be diverted round the central heating circuit. The only problem is that the return path is via the keel cooling, so water that has already lost a lot of heat going round the radiators is then stripped of whatever heat it has left, before returning to the engine.

What I would like is a second 77 degree thermostat that would send water straight back to the block if under 77 degrees, and through the keel cooling if more.

Are these things easy to find, and if so where? I have so far drawn a blank.

Thanks.

Edited by George94

Don't know whether the twin thermostat setup from say a Barrus Shire engine can be adapted, if available as stand alone. Image below shows how it works and how it could easily be plumbed for your needs.

RDG60310228-Issue2-Shire12CompleteManual

Alternative is to have the radiator circuit fed by existing thermostat bypass, with maybe a "T" or "L" port valve to manuallly switch in the radiators after engine has warmed up. You could even have a three way valve that allowed selection of direct bypass to block (quick warm up), calorifier only or calorifier and radiators.

With such a setup (similar to mine), if you forget to switch over from quick warm up setting, its failsafe in that thermostat will open and bring coolant temperature down as skin tank is brought into play.

As I have mentioned before when this problem has arisen it is possible to use a LADA Riva thermostat which is an external unit that plumbs into the cooling circuit hoses. It is not expensive. Regards, HughC.

You could try something like this as a bypass that can be plumbed in:-

http://www.cranefs.com/files/productDataSheets/D2890_D2880_TCV_DS_CraneFS.pdf

Occasionally these (or equivalents from either Crane or other companys) come up on Fleabay, they are quite pricey new.

Ebay item 151667641154 £15 or best offer.

Alternatively (and larger) if you like the steampunk/retro look make an offer on this 131446391070

• 4 weeks later...