Manchester

nursegrowl

Featured Posts

Hi, I'm still organishing the sale of my house to fund my liveaboard buying. Just wondering, as I'm hoping to head that way,does anybody live in the city, as in the centre? is there any bits to avoid? or some better than others? I'll be workin in the centre, so want to live as close as poss, don't mind upto a few miles out really, but 'cos of work, social places, pub etc, need to be close ish . I've been told there are no residential mooring in Manchester 1?!?!? is this right??? Thanks

Gillian xxxxxxxx

It depends what you define as being "Manchester".

On the Bridgewater Canal there were a few moorings which were classed as liveaboard I beleive, but with every other part of spare land in Manchester, the space around the moorings is being flattened and being prepared for guppy flats so the boats have moved out into the main arms in Castlefield basin.

I beleive they'll be out there for about 18 months but I'm not sure whether they'll be allowed to return, it may be worth checking with Mike Webb of Peel Holdings (Manchester Ship Canal Co.) for further info?

I'm not sure about the Rochdale, Ashton etc as I've never been through that way.

I live 4 miles north of Victoria Station; not much help re. moorings, but I will gladly help with practical advice about living here. PM me as it wouldn't make for entertaining reading for most folk.

Not that it's grim or anything, I just mean that it would be a bit boring.

Oh bugger it, I'll reply again when I've sobered up.

Hi Gillian.

Like most big cities Manchester is not very welcoming to residential moorers, there are some moorings around the Piccadilly Village area that could be classed as short term residential but you have to know a few people, I may be able to give you a couple of phone numbers if you PM me. Generally however it is quite a few miles before you are away from the inner city area.

I am sure there are moorings available on the Rochdale but not until Rochdale itself but as you will know that is a good distance if you need to comute into Manchester. I am not very familiar with the Bridgewater these days.