Aire & Calder Navigation

molli

Featured Posts

Hello all, fairly new to boating, but had a reasonable bit of experience.

One experience not yet achieved is meeting one of those large sand/oil carring

barges that evendendly run up and down the A & C.

Whats reccommmneded to minimise the effects from their wash.

1. when one's coming the other way.

2 . when one's comes up behind.

Have heard that one NB was flooded, with the wash coming over the bows,

and spun the boat around 180 deg.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Mike

hello molli well my boat is on the aire and calder at goole and have yet to with this boat meet up with a tanker but did plenty of times with last boat i myself am not sure what best course of action would be , but as i have seen them before and worked on others 30 years ago at a lot lower speed tho, i know what they are like, but the rix tankers are the worst not slowing down for moored boats especially at rawcliffe where a few boats have become adrift and one nb there now has a chain tied to the jetty , and another narrowboat the tanker passed it and flooded the engine room, i myself would say slow down, get as far safely as possible to the other side of canal and just see what hapens, or worst case scenario get your vhf out and pretend to be on at locks and show a stern face to the driver :cheers:

One experience not yet achieved is meeting one of those large sand/oil carring

barges that evendendly run up and down the A & C.

Whats reccommmneded to minimise the effects from their wash.

Mike

Hello Mike,

I would suggest that firstly you keep all doors shut to avoid any water that does get on board from getting inside.

Always give them as much room as possible.

It might be an idea to make sure that breakable objects such as crockery, glasses etc are stowed away to avoid breakages if you are tossed around.

If a vesel is kicking up a heavy wash, try to be bows on to the waves and at as slow a speed as possible while still maintaining steerage way. For approaching vessels this is straightforward but when a barge is overtaking you, you need to think about turning in good time. Whatever you do, don't turn across his bows.

Howard Anguish

One experience not yet achieved is meeting one of those large sand/oil carrying

barges that evidently run up and down the A & C.

Whats recommended to minimise the effects from their wash.

Mike

Hi Molli / Mike,

If the large barge is coming towards you, first listen for any horn signals that will tell you which side he would like to pass you, left or right. If no horn signal, stay right and when the barge comes alongside steer into the wash to try to meet it square on the bow.

If the large barge is following you, try to stay in front of it by speeding up if need be and at the next lock, pull over and let it through. The lock will be manned by a BW lockie so the barge should be able to go straight into the lock before you.

If you are lucky, the BW lockie may stay back to operate the lock for you before he shoots off to the next lock to meet the large barge.

M&P.

Edited by Mick and Pauline

Hi Moli & Mike,

I have done the Aire and Calder a number of times now and have not had a problem with the comercial craft at all - even a Rix tanker.

The speed limit on the commercial section is six knots and so far I have been able to hold my own against following craft. Once through the locks there is no problem, there are not that many big craft on the move at any one time. As far as facing oncoming craft, baring any signals - stick to the right hand side and be prepared to steer into any bow wave even if this means moving towards the barge as it goes past.

Yes these are big beasts - compared to the narrow boat - but so far I have not had a problem. I journey between the New Junction Canal and Castleford a number of times now between Easter and October half term - no problems. Don't let it put you off, sometimes boaters stories are bigger than the event :cheers:

since i have had my narrowboat i havent had any tankers pass me or i pass tankers that r on the move but now whitley ock is back open then they will be moving they are 120 foot by 14 foot which sounds mammoth in comparison to my 38 by 6 10 and youre 27 by 6 10 but just do the best you can my previous boat was only 22, before that 20 and before that 14 and they all coped well!!!!, absolutely nothing to worry about anf good luck lol

Whatever you do, don't turn across his bows.

Howard Anguish

I had a brown trouser moment in 2005 with a sand barge. I don't have VHF so did the responsible thing and made a call to BW Castleford to establish the days barge movements. A helpful chap called me back with details. 2 sand barges travelling from Whitwood to Ranby and the times. I worked out the approximate passing points (the place you don't want to meet them is the Ferrybridge flood lock to the junction with the Selby as it is quite narrow) Going well, passed one at Rawcliffe and one at Whitley Bridge.

Pulled onto the lovely visitor moorings at Ferrybridge flood lock and had some nosebag. Set off into the lock and my wife who was in the kitchen at the back of the boat said - 'have you noticed what is behind you' Not 20ft off my rear end was Humber Trader moving at a fair speed - fairer than my Lister SR3 could muster.

Skipper was understanding as I let him pass as soon as we were on the river and mouthing 'SORRY' as best I could. Called BW to share my frustration.....oh sorry we missed that one.

'Am I clear now for the day'

'Yes no more'

Well not until I met an empty Rix Owl on one of the bends on the River Aire !!

But don't let this put you off travelling down the Trent or the A&C. It's a cracking waterway.