Which way to go and why?

Darren72

Featured Posts

I may have asked this before. So apologies.

Going to Stratford upon Avon from the Ashby Canal. We want to go via Warwick. So do we go thru Brum first and Warwick on the way back or vice versa. If so why?

Thanks in advance.

Going to Stratford upon Avon from the Ashby Canal. We want to go via Warwick. So do we go thru Brum first and Warwick on the way back or vice versa. If so why? We will be doing this in August.

Thanks in advance.

Edited by Darren72

Going to Stratford upon Avon from the Ashby Canal. We want to go via Warwick. So do we go thru Brum first and Warwick on the way back or vice versa. If so why? We will be doing this in August.

Thanks in advance.

I don't really understand the question . . . if you want to call at Warwick on the way to Stratford, then you need to turn left at the cut end and right at Napton, otherwise if you turn right at the cut end and go to Brum that way first ( Fazeley Turn), then to Warwick before going down to Stratford, you'll have to do Hatton and Knowle twice in succession, just to get to Warwick.

You'll have to do one bit of cut twice, Lapworth - Stratford, so there's no point in adding Lapworth - Warwick to that. You can come back from Brum via Fazeley Turn and up Atherstone.

Edited by Tony Dunkley

I find Hatton is easier going downhill, so I would suggest you go anti-clockwise, ie

Ashby - Brum - Kings Norton - Stratford - Warwick - Braunston - Ashby.

If you want to do fewer locks you can avoid the centre of Birmingham and go via Solihull and Knowle, but I would recommend the Northern Stratford route.

• 2 weeks later...

I find Hatton is easier going downhill, so I would suggest you go anti-clockwise, ie

I agree but also suggest checking Crt for any stopages before you set off . Bunny

Ashby - Brum - Kings Norton - Stratford - Warwick - Braunston - Ashby.

If you want to do fewer locks you can avoid the centre of Birmingham and go via Solihull and Knowle, but I would recommend the Northern Stratford route.

So I guess you are saying that you are going to do the Warwickshire Ring with a side trip to Stratford, and the question is which way round to go?

Hatton is possibly a bit easier going down, but then it is the same number of locks back up the other side, although you can split that over 2 days by stopping at Long Itchington. The hire boats from the Napton area tend to go clockwise so that they do the locks at the start, so going anti-clock means you are going the other way to them.

I would say more of a decider on clock or anti with be how you are planning to do Birmingham.