Mikuni Parts

Theo

Featured Posts

Yesterday I took out the glowplug and glowplug boss to clean them up. The glowplug was not a problem but getting to the nichrome gauze inside the boss was impossible without damaging it. I read that the gauze should be replaced when servicing but I didn't have a spare so I removed it as best I could (long nose pliers)and burned off the carbon using the gas ring, I straightened it as well as I could manage and replaced it. All seems to be well and the Mikuni fires up as it should. I wonder if there is a tad more smoke as it wrms up fully.

I am now trying to source parts to put in store ready for the next service. I have had a good look at the parts list on line but the gauze doesn't feature as a separate item. It looks as if I will have to puy a new boss at £44. Has anyone else discoved a source for the gauze?

Nick

I ran a Mikuni on our last boat for about 10 years (liveabosrd) and though I had to replace glowplugs a couple of times a year I only ever had to replace gauze once. Like you I could not source a seperste gauze and had to bite the bullet and buy a complete boss.

Phil

The gauze is and never has been available as a separate item, if it is just carboned up then we use a heated ultrasonic bath and caustic soda to clean them, if the gause is burned then it is a replacement of the boss assembly. pulling it out and distorting it even slightly will have altered the burn rate, indicated by the smoke on start up.

Edited by NMEA

Thanks both. It looks as if I will have to buy the boss.

I have been very pleased with the performance of the Mikuni over the last year of living aboard. It has been used every morning to heat the calorifier and, in cold weather, the central heating.

N