River cruising

Happy Bachelor

Featured Posts

The skin tank on a lot of narrowboats is often too small, not a problem on the canal but when using more power than normal on a river the engine overheating can become a problem. Our calorifier has a second coil which is connected to the radiator circuit, turning on the pump helps keep the engine temperature within limits.

We were in a Thames lock when another boater asked why he needed to turn his engine off, the reply, "so if there is a problem you can hear what I'm saying and maybe save your life" seemed to make sense.

Ken

• 3 months later...

The skin tank on a lot of narrowboats is often too small, not a problem on the canal but when using more power than normal on a river the engine overheating can become a problem. Our calorifier has a second coil which is connected to the radiator circuit, turning on the pump helps keep the engine temperature within limits.We were in a Thames lock when another boater asked why he needed to turn his engine off, the reply, "so if there is a problem you can hear what I'm saying and maybe save your life" seemed to make sense.Ken

My skin tank is totally inadequate, and going upstream on the Llangollen was a nightmare. A simple addition to the engine cooling circuit solved the problem overnight. A 2 inch diameter stainless pipe was taken out through one side of the swim, back to the pointy bit, down the other side and back in through the swim. I can't now make the engine overheat.

Moor facing the flow, learn the magic of river gliding( match your speed to the speed of the flow) and you can actually make your boat go sideways. Gets you into a mooring space you would not dream of trying otherwise.

Absolutely. Watched a NB pull away from the Goring moorings from between two gin palaces, sized the length up, stopped just off the upstream boat's stern and glided in sideways, using the throttle to get the fore-aft position exactly right. having tied up a lady on one of the cruisers said "well done, how did you know it would fit" so i told here I counted the windows of the boat that had just left - I think she thought I was spinning yarn.

It is very useful to use slack water behind islands and such like to help turn your boat round so get used to assessing the flow by looking at water.

Watch cross current from weir streams when approaching Thames locks from downstream. Eynsham is particularly bad at times. Yo can get an eddy almost in the lock mouth that will try to spin the boat.