Why do we need a law?

valrene9600

Featured Posts

Ok here's some of the stick you mentioned...

I don't think this would be fair at all as boaters with your imaginary licence would clog up all the best VMs in perpetuity.

I imagine it would work fine if official VMs were excluded from the licence though but I can't see it happening. If it did though, I'd certainly buy one of your new style licenses!

MtB

The winter towpath mooring permit that I have specifically excludes visitor moorings and mooring within 500 yards of any permanent moorings.

Edited by Galeomma

I don't think so.

That licence only allows 14 days mooring then he has to move on.

MtB

Yes, I missed the 'long as I want bit'. The point is that if you are a true CC'er why would you pay more to moor up for more than 14 days? We enjoy being on the move and don't want to stay in the same place!

Posts like these just seem an attempt to wind up the CC'er debate again. It's no secret that many CC'ers enjoy the financial benefit of not having to pay for a mooring along with the other benefits. If someone is fortunate enough to afford a mooring, good for them, but why rub it in the faces of those less fortunate. Still, they keep trying....

Yes, I missed the 'long as I want bit'. The point is that if you are a true CC'er why would you pay more to moor up for more than 14 days? We enjoy being on the move and don't want to stay in the same place!

Posts like these just seem an attempt to wind up the CC'er debate again. It's no secret that many CC'ers enjoy the financial benefit of not having to pay for a mooring along with the other benefits. If someone is fortunate enough to afford a mooring, good for them, but why rub it in the faces of those less fortunate. Still, they keep trying....

I'm not quite sure why you see this as '...rub it in the faces of those less fortunate...'? I have temporarily stopped off at a marina at the moment since I wish to remain in a particular area for a few weeks. Now talking to the guy in the boat I am alongside, who moors there permanently, the annual cost of his mooring is £700, since the cost of the boat licence is over £800 the mooring is less than the licence. If they can afford the licence then they can afford a mooring. Now if you wish to make a case for those in London being unable to find a mooring for that price, that is their own choice, they do not have to stay in London, boats are designed to move! If they wish to stay in London then they will have to pay London rates (why shouldn't they?) if they wish to live cheaply they can live elsewhere. I should point out that the marina I am in has all facilities and is secure.

I'm not quite sure why you see this as '...rub it in the faces of those less fortunate...'? I have temporarily stopped off at a marina at the moment since I wish to remain in a particular area for a few weeks. Now talking to the guy in the boat I am alongside, who moors there permanently, the annual cost of his mooring is £700, since the cost of the boat licence is over £800 the mooring is less than the licence. If they can afford the licence then they can afford a mooring. Now if you wish to make a case for those in London being unable to find a mooring for that price, that is their own choice, they do not have to stay in London, boats are designed to move! If they wish to stay in London then they will have to pay London rates (why shouldn't they?) if they wish to live cheaply they can live elsewhere. I should point out that the marina I am in has all facilities and is secure.

£700...really? Forget London, that's cheap coming from anywhere...

Now talking to the guy in the boat I am alongside, who moors there permanently, the annual cost of his mooring is £700, since the cost of the boat licence is over £800 the mooring is less than the licence.

Really?

Where is this please?

The "over £800" licence would imply a boat of more than 50 feet, so where is this secure marina with all facilities that only want £700 pa for a mooring?

I'd be interested to hear too, as the cheapest marina mooring I could find anywhere when I needed one for REGINALD (45ft) was about £1,600, and that was Calcutt where one also has to pay a one-off entry fee of £400.

All the rest I found were £2k+.

MtB

The Marina I am in is Hawne Basin, I'm paying £4 per night visitor rate and the guy next to me states he pays £700 per year for the mooring for his 60' boat. The conversation we had was that he'd probably have sold his boat a couple of years ago if he hadn't got a mooring at this rate because, for a variety of reasons he hasn't used the boat for 18 months.

Edited by Wanderer Vagabond

Thanks,

I guess I can see a number of reasons why Hawne Basin moorings are relatively cheap, (not least because it is society operated, I think, notas a major commercial enterprise).

I'm surprised they are THAT cheap, though!

Would certainly consider it if Midlnds based.

A community mooring indeed with a side order of volunteering and community out reach work.

It's our open weekend this year, free entry and intended to give the local community a day out and increase awareness and enjoyment of the canals .

The basin now belongs to the Trust and having secured its future the next objective is to work with CRT to progress the re opening of the next section of the canal .

We have a youth worker now and are hoping to encourage more young people to experience the canals and boating .

Alf and others have been trying to tell you all about the benefits of community moorings to all .

It may be a cheap mooring cash wise but there's commitment and responsibility and time to add to that.

We have recently re decorated our clubhouse and it was all done by volunteers.

Edited by madcat

A community mooring indeed with a side order of volunteering and community out reach work.

It's our open weekend this year, free entry and intended to give the local community a day out and increase awareness and enjoyment of the canals .

The basin now belongs to the Trust and having secured its future the next objective is to work with CRT to progress the re opening of the next section of the canal .

We have a youth worker now and are hoping to encourage more young people to experience the canals and boating .

Alf and others have been trying to tell you all about the benefits of community moorings to all .

It may be a cheap mooring cash wise but there's commitment and responsibility and time to add to that.

We have recently re decorated our clubhouse and it was all done by volunteers.

Yes. This is the reason it is cheap. I imagine the community does not welcome (shiny?) boaters who want to just moor up and vanish, only to reappear on sunny bank holiday weekends. Another reason for the low cost is the way all the boats are all rafted up in large blocks, not moored against space-wasting pontoons like in conventional marinas.

I imagine participation in the community is mandatory too, doing stuff like painting the clubhouse, so not really comparable with 99% of marina moorings out there.

MtB

ah, a community mooring.

I seem to be remember you were vociferously against those in London. but here you are taking advantage of one and singing their praises.

a mite hypocritical mr vagabond?

Ah, spoken like the gent who, as usual, doesn't read the threads they are quoting. Just to help you out I have cut and paste my exact quote from the other thread so you don't miss it again,".......I have read through the Hackney Citizen article and also through this thread and I have to say that I'm still not entirely sure what is being proposed. A perfectly reasonable proposal IMO would be for this group to approach the council to have use of the land required for the appropriate affordable rental and also for CRT to receive the EOG payment for the moorings. If that is what the proposal is then what is the issue (provided that the moorings are on the non-towpath side so no public mooring space is being lost). Effectively the group would be setting up a sort of marina in London......"

So tell me what part of that constitutes 'vociferous' opposition to the proposal.

Edited by Wanderer Vagabond