Lining out Engine Room

BD3Bill

Featured Posts

So let's see.

Is it possible to spray foam the all the steel myself instead of cellotex/rockwool ?

How would I do that? I have a compressor and a genny.

That would seal the steel from the lining completely no?

Do I Batten it first then spray ? Obviously..

Do boats with spray foam have an air gap ? I think so.

Cheers Bill

The following is my understanding and may be wrong in places:

Professional sprayfoam is propelled by nitrogen from separate cylinders and gives very good projection and decent coverage. It sets very quickly and has a hard skin that you can walk on in about 15 mins. I have this, top, sides, and bottom.

DIY sprayfoam using cylinders (6Kg?) is possible but does not project so well particularly upwards and has a steep learning curve or you spend a fortune on nozzles. The saving over a professional job is significant but not value for money. I researched this but decided against it. I don't remember whether the materials are the same as the professional kit.

DIY using cans even with a gun is a no-no. This foam will not adhere well to ceilings without a support framework. It is excellent for filling and patching but a whole boat, not advised. The resulting foam is nowhere near as strong as the professional result. I have used this a lot. It does not have a hard skin and I would not walk on it. It is much easier to break off.

I would have a professional job every time, but checking their work very thoroughly & wincing at the cost.

The following is my understanding and may be wrong in places:

Professional sprayfoam is propelled by nitrogen from separate cylinders and gives very good projection and decent coverage. It sets very quickly and has a hard skin that you can walk on in about 15 mins. I have this, top, sides, and bottom.

DIY sprayfoam using cylinders (6Kg?) is possible but does not project so well particularly upwards and has a steep learning curve or you spend a fortune on nozzles. The saving over a professional job is significant but not value for money. I researched this but decided against it. I don't remember whether the materials are the same as the professional kit.

DIY using cans even with a gun is a no-no. This foam will not adhere well to ceilings without a support framework. It is excellent for filling and patching but a whole boat, not advised. The resulting foam is nowhere near as strong as the professional result. I have used this a lot. It does not have a hard skin and I would not walk on it. It is much easier to break off.

I would have a professional job every time, but checking their work very thoroughly & wincing at the cost.

Yes I had seen the DIY kits.

Thanks for this, shall avoid them.

Cellotex/aerosols and tape it is then.

Cheers Bill