Springer narrow boats

stuart

Featured Posts

Correct - your post count always displays as total posts to date, (excluding Virtual Pub).

So even if you find the first post anybody ever made, it will show their current post count.

Stuart used to be a very regular contributor, but shows up less now, (unless he's trying to flog some used PCs like the one I'm currently using!)

I'm sure he can speak for himself, but I believe his original plan was to buy a secondhand boat, but he eventually settled for, and fitted out a sailaway.

I seem to recall it's LB, about 45 feet, and there have been some interesting diversions around bits of his drivetrain and/or gearbox separating, (I don't recall which exactly).

Stuart did some useful "how to" guides, like "how to add a shunt ammeter", and a search around the archives gives some good practical insight into some improvements he made. I seem to recall he also fitted an Aquadrive or Pythondrive, following problems he has had. Given a professionally fitted one that appeared recently in a members boat, it's maybe a shame the installers had not read Stu's guide. :lol:

Alan

Ah, Brenda,

I think it was you who popped up a month or so back on the topic of your engine.

At the time I think you said replacement with even a secondhand option was not an option.

So I'm guessing the verdict on the old engine can't have been too favourable ?

Anyway good luck with your obviously much loved, (and much improved) boat.

Alan

We are all aware that most of the posts on the topic are dated 2004. That might explain why Stuart is seen by some as something of a 'Sprog'..

I really could not generate too much enthusiasm for that 'Wilton' boat, it is 30 odd years old and built from the thinest steel that any builder has ever used.. OK the add says it has been over-plated, that can mean anything, over-plating is something that is very difficult to do to a high standard, most are 'anything but'.

That price is probably 3 times what it cost when new.

Edited by John Orentas

We are all aware that most of the posts on the topic are dated 2004. That might explain why Stuart is seen by some as something of a 'Sprog'..

I really could not generate too much enthusiasm for that 'Wilton' boat, it is 30 odd years old and built from the thinest steel that any builder has ever used.. OK the add says it has been over-plated, that can mean anything, over-plating is something that is very difficult to do to a high standard, most are 'anything but'.

That price is probably 3 times what it cost when new.

I bought my house for 85k 2 years ago, when new it would have cost in the region of £500. Does that make it a bad buy now? Probably not.

If I was buying a replated Springer, I'd want to be sure that it is still narrowgauge - older boats can 'spread' a bit, and I've certainly known at least one replated Springer that was 7'1" wide.

They do tend to have less headroom in my experience, probably to do with them having V bottoms.