Water level dropped over-night and now we're on the bottom..

casper ghost

Featured Posts

Our mooring is a little way below a stoppage, so I guess the pumps stopped for a while and the small water drop, of about 6 inch, is enough to sit us, and all the other boats here, on the bottom. Shows how silted up this stretch is. We only have about 21" draft too..

Casp'

Where abouts are you located Casper?

Are you and the boat ok?

I would guess Chirk because I can't think of anywhere else where a stoppage would affect the water level below it ... or am I missing something?

We were at New Marton bottom lock this morning where CaRT are fitting new gates. The stop planks are in at the lock entrance and exit and the lock is empty but the usual amount of water was going over the by-weir. This is a very long weir so there is only a couple of inches depth over the lip and any lowering of level would expose the stonework.

Has the acqueduct been drained by any chance? Levels upstream can drop a bit when it is but the flow downstream is maintained by pumping up from the Dee. The outflow from the pump into the canal is from a boxlike structure by the Fron lift-bridge.

The flow has to be maintained because of the contractual obligation to supply mid Cheshire's drinking water at Hurleston reservoir.

Sultan

West end of the K & A has been low for the last 6 to 8 months. Local restaurant boat has also had problems during their journeys from Bath to Bradford on Avon and back. Day to day users have also had difficulties. Not sure if CaRt, now with their new charitable status, have a handle on the situation in keeping the navigation fully operational.

Sitting on the bottom is a normal thing for us on the Lark, as soon as the" off season" arrives the level is dropped just in case it rains. Last Sunday I got a flood alert from E.A and sure enough up we went,staying up for most of the week but plummeted down yesterday,we are just off the bottom but the boat behind has a good list. It continues like this all winter till they bring us back up to summer level.

Phil

casper ghost The Llangollen is blocked at chirk to fix the tunnel and there are 3 large pumps bypassing the dry tunnel to maintain a flow for the canal downstream. Obviously it is not enough. The canal normally has a good flow over the aqueduct but now it is much slower. They are going to be fixing the tunnel for a while so if you want to move it might be difficult.

There is barely a trickle coming down the bywash at Swanley No2 lock and Swanley marina is lower than I've known it. A fellow moorer came back last weekend saying that he had difficulty getting passed the pipes and that Hurleston was to be closed for 6 weeks (!), so we visited to check that out. They are back pumping from the Shroppie to maintain sufficient flow of water into Hurleston reservoir, because apparently the stoppages at the various tunnels are severly reducing the flow. The claimed stoppage at Hurleston was a misunderstanding, though I'd be a little apprehensive about anyone getting into the top lock at Hurleston passed to outflow from the pipe (aso watch out for the stones that you can hear rattling up the pipe from the Shroppie!)