Thames planned lock closures! who knows ???

Bettie Boo

Featured Posts

Hi All,

I would strongly recommend anyone planning trips on the Thames in the next little while; well between now and the 3rd of November at least, to double check the details on the planned EA winter maintenance lock closures. Problem is, I can't recommend who actually knows as it seems the information that EA employees isn't very clear.

We are in the process of making our way back onto the GU and since it was cheaper for us to buy a weeks Thames visitor pass than a 3 day pass we did; with the intention of getting past the last of the locks that are meant to be closing on the 3rd of November and doing a bit more exploring till our visitor pass is just about finished.

We mentioned this to one of the (few) lockies we came across yesterday, as the information we had was that Penton Hook lock was the most easterly one we would need to get through before the 3rd of November. The lockie gave us his update which stated Penton Hook wasn't due to close till the 5th of January. Once we moored up for the day, both "him at the back" and I checked out EA web sites, the one I went to still showed the 3rd of Nov (updated on 31st Oct.), the one he went to showed the 5th of Jan; so I called EA to find out which it was. Very pleasant young lady on the phone checked with her colleague after I told her about the conflicting web site info and the lockie update we had, and assured me Penton Hook was closing on the 3rd of Nov.

So we set off from our lovely mooring in Windsor this morning, pooped into Staines for a bit of a shop and have just left Penhton Hook lock, where the Lockie categorically confirmed he wasn't closing now till the 5th of Jan. !! wacko.png

There rant over!

Never mind - it's a lovely day for cruising boat.gif

ETA - spelen

Edited by Bettie Boo

Of course the employees get their latest up to date information from the same website that you do.

Same for many businesses and organisations.

Trying to identify who is the bright spark in the PR department who is supposed to update the websites usually leads to disappointment. The man on the ground is always a better source of factual information.