TV Ariel mounting ?

floatsyourboat

Featured Posts

Where is the best place to mount a TV ariel on a narrowboat and what on ?

I am unsure if I should get some kind of long pole to fix an ariel or get a satellite dish?

The front of the cabin roof has a good 6 inch lip on it that would get in the way so I am wondering if the cabin side is advisable ?

Thanks.

Are you a bit confused (an aerial is for Freeview reception, a dish is for satellite signals) ?

Either could benefit from being mounted on a pole - depending on where you moor.

'tis what I do - I have a piece of tube welded into my chain locker into which I put an adjustable tube and an aerial or dish depending on which will give me the best coverage.

I use satellite for preference as I know where the signal is coming from before I moor up (it's always in the same place in the sky). For freeview I'd have to know from day to day where the nearest / best transmitter is. I can't be bothered - so use satellite.

Is that the sort of answer you need?

Are you a bit confused (an aerial is for Freeview reception, a dish is for satellite signals) ?

Either could benefit from being mounted on a pole - depending on where you moor.

'tis what I do - I have a piece of tube welded into my chain locker into which I put an adjustable tube and an aerial or dish depending on which will give me the best coverage.

I use satellite for preference as I know where the signal is coming from before I moor up (it's always in the same place in the sky). For freeview I'd have to know from day to day where the nearest / best transmitter is. I can't be bothered - so use satellite.

Is that the sort of answer you need?

That's interesting so what kind of satellite dish do you use and do you have to have a separate box to go with it?

That's interesting so what kind of satellite dish do you use and do you have to have a separate box to go with it?

After faffing around with the el-cheapo Sky variety, I settled on a Triad TD54 offset dish because:-

• The arm can be folded up when the dish is stowed away (we take the dish down when cruising)
  • It's a good quality product and well made
  • The mounting bracket is well engineered - there's a good 4" (IIRC) between the top and bottom clips, so that once the azimuth is set, it remains set. The angle gauge is engraved, clear and correct (other dishes vary from poor to useless).
  • The only downside is that it could (possibly) be a bit smaller

M Management's requirements usually mean we watch one programme and record another at the same time.....

SO we have a recorder - but yes you do need an adaptor box for satellite. Yes, there are some TV's that can receive satellite broadcasts but they tend to be a lot more expensive. A simple satellite receiver is inexpensive and takes little power. You can get ex-Sky (use only Pace) boxes from eBay for about a tenner plus postage.

We use Humax boxes for both Freeview and Freesat ( 'cos they're good and cheap -eBay again)