Taylor Diesel Stove

Matt72

Featured Posts

Hi

We have just got our boat and it has a Taylors Diesel Stove (http://www.blakes-lavac-taylors.co.uk/taylors_079d.htm) . I am having a bit of trouble getting it going and wondered if there are any forum members who have one and could give me some advice.

Alternatively does anyone know who would be able to service one of these stoves.

Thanks

Matt

Hi ya, They are Brilliant Heaters, I had one fitted on my last Two boats, They just sip fuel, and once you have masters the Drip feed, there is just very little to go wrong, I love them.

Have you checked the Flue is Clear, and UN- obstructed.

Have you got Clean Diesel in the Clean Header tank.

Have you got some Methes spirit to put on the burn plate.

Ignite the methes, turn the Drip feed on to about a 6/8 drips over 10 seconds, then adjust to catch

DO NOT LEAVE UNATTENDED UNTIL HAPPY WITH DRIP RATE, and the flame is Burning Blue,, NO YELLOW

It is very much a case of understanding the knack, but once masterd it's a doddle.

Edited by Paul's Nulife4-2

What he says. I need to let the meths get the burn plate inside glowing red hot before I turn the diesel on otherwise it doesn't stay lit

Is there a regular drip of diesel coming through the little window near the dial? If not press and hold down the blue button and see if the drip comes then.

Here's a thread about mine from a few months ago when I was trying to get mine going

http://www.canalworld.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=67041&view=&hl=&fromsearch=1

hi

Thanks -

The flue is clear. Where is the clean header tank ??? Got the meths (that bit is fine)

it is the drip feed I am having problems with - I light the meths give it 30 secs, then pop the nut back on. Leave it for 3-4 mins and press the blue button. When I press the blue button I see a drop of couple of drops of diesel and then nothing more. I do not get a steady drip an eventually the meths burns out and that's it.

Thanks

Matt

Have you got a small Normally Round Diesel tank, with a Brass Filler Cap (That you should make sure air can pass through,to replace the Diesel that comes out). It should also have a little sight tube on one end.

Or have you got a pump fed version that maybe comes from your main Fuel Tank !.

Edited by Paul's Nulife4-2
  • Greenie 2

hi

Thanks -

The flue is clear. Where is the clean header tank ??? Got the meths (that bit is fine)

it is the drip feed I am having problems with - I light the meths give it 30 secs, then pop the nut back on. Leave it for 3-4 mins and press the blue button. When I press the blue button I see a drop of couple of drops of diesel and then nothing more. I do not get a steady drip an eventually the meths burns out and that's it.

Thanks

Matt

Do the diesel drips stop when you let go of the blue button or while you're still holding it down?

If the drips stop even though you're still holding the button down, you may have an air lock in one of the fuel pipes, or crud from the tank blocking one of the pipes. Also check your fuel filter isn't cruddified.

If the drips stop when you release the blue button then it's one of a few options: The thermocouple in the heater isn't getting hot enough to trigger the magnetic valve. This will be caused either by the thermocouple not being fully inserted into burner area or being sooted up, preventing it getting hot enough. Only way to find out is to dismantle the burner and look - might as well desoot it all with a toothbrush while you're a it. Or you're not allowing the meths to burn long enough to get the plate inside red hot before turning the diesel on - if it's not hot enough it won't trigger the magnetic valve thingy. Lastly, the magnetic valve (blue button contraption) may broken and needs replacing.

Thanks for everyone giving me advice about my Taylor's heater for me to have been able to share all that with you! smile.png

Edited by BlueStringPudding

BSP's advice is spot on (wonder where it came from?)!

The first thing to check (without lighting the stove, is to confirm that you have a steady flow of drips (probably an oxymoron) when you hold the blue button pushed in.

If you don't then it will be one of the things BSP lists above.

You can test the thermocouple by disconnecting it from the back of the valve (just undo the locking nut), light the meths and measure the voltage at the end of the thermocouple (between the centre stud and the copper tube bit. It is likely to be in the range 12 to 20 millivolts if it is working correctly. This will show if (a) the thermocouple works and (cool.png it is correctly positioned.

If you have millivolts from the thermocouple and the valve won't hold in, the odds are that the solenoid assembly is bust. In the past 18 months i have had to replace them on both of my 20 year old Taylors heaters. There was no obvious failure mode (the things are crimped together and cannot be disassembled without causing them serious damage). unfortunately they cost about £80 as Taylor spares, but they look very similar to ones used in gas applications which are much cheaper. They do live submerged in Diesel, which may not be a brilliant thing in the long term (many aspects of the Taylors design are rubbish, but I still think the heaters are brilliant!).

Edited to add....

It looks as though the valve assembly is a SIT 400 M1 valve - for which spares should be very cheap!

http://serprogas.cl/catalogos-01/Catalogo_padoba_400_M1_-_420_D3_GB.pdf

Good luck.

Chris G

Edited by Batavia

Thanks all

In order of reply :-

Paul - it is fed via pump from the main tank.

BSP - the drips stop even with the button pressed (I got one or two drips then nothing)

Batavia - from BSP's post it sounds more like an airlock or pipe blocked.
I won't get chance to have a look until the weekend but if air or blockage I'll try and have a tinker - not the best at this sort of stuff all a bit of a learning curve.

Cheers

Matt

• 2 weeks later...