Drive plate and stern gear with Vetus

jonk

Featured Posts

Just some information that might help someone!

My engine etc is Vetus but this probably applies to all setups.

Recently I had cause to take my boat in for a check since vibration and noise were becoming apparent. Also there was water starting to drip from the prop at the stern gland.

On inspecting the prop it was found that one of the flutes was badly bent.

When the boat was taken out of the water for replacement of the prop it was found that this damaged prop and/or the collision that caused it had also damaged the prop shaft, rear shaft bearing, drive plate and gearbox!

The rear bearing was oval and hence the water dripping, the prop shaft was slightly bent, the gearbox was noisy and had lots of slack (a 6 month old box) and the drive plate was noisy although it looked OK.

After replacing all of the above except for the Driveplate we set off only to find that there was still noise and vibration! The Driveplate was changed for a new 'universal' plate and we set off again. Still noise and vibration... So after discussion with various authorities we changed the Driveplate for a new R and D design - problem solved - noise gone and vibration reduced considerably.

So - my conclusions are that the prop needs checking regularly for damage since it can cause damage all the way through the drivechain and that the Driveplate needs to be the correct one for the drivechain.

John

My boat is let out while I'm away so it must have been done prior to my picking it up. I did check the prop for fouling but did not pick up that it was bent until I specifically looked for it. The boat was running OK just noisy and a vibration so I did not expect such a major problem ... obviously in future I will check the prop more carefully, hence this warning for others.

John