pbuk

Featured Posts

Sorry title of this thread should be 'What would you do...?'

If you had a Lister HRW 4 59 HP engine on your 70ft narrowboat and were cruising canals and rivers how would you go about it... considering the engine has a considerable excess of power, particularly for canal cruising? I'm going to be in this situation hopefully soon and any advice and tips from you seasoned boaters would be very much appreciated :-)

Edited by pbuk

If you had a Lister HRW 4 59 HP engine on your 70ft narrowboat and were cruising canals and rivers how would you go about it... considering the engine has a considerable excess of power, particularly for canal cruising? I'm going to be in this situation hopefully soon and any advice and tips from you seasoned boaters would be very much appreciated :-)

Take 3 injectors out, route the pipes back to the tank and manage perfectly well with 15hpbiggrin.png .

You are in the K3/5LW/6YDA zone , too big too thirsty, unnecessary.(IMO)

Just for comparison, used to run a 35ft ex BW workboat it had an ST1 (8HP?) that went like the clappers and was strong enough for a bit of towing. Many old working boats had engines between 9 and 18Hp ,often towed a butty as well.

Unless someone has had the same engine in the same sized boat with the same sized prop then no one can tell you anything you're not already guessing at. Just suck it and see how it goes.

Thanks for the responses - yes we have a test day set up and will be finding out how manageable the boat is. Looking forward to it and hopefully if all goes OK and it's something I think the wife and I can handle we'll be purchasing... subject to survey of course.

Looking forward to joining the narrowboat community and getting real experience so I can help others out on here rather than asking questions all the time! Really do appreciate the feedback and support from everyone :-)