CRT Volunteers

KenK

Featured Posts

This reminds me of a post I read on these forums years ago - a forum member spoke to someone at BW on the phone about a towpath issue or something along those lines... the woman at BW actually said "I don't think our towpaths were designed for horses".

I remember that post as well, but the way I remember it was it was someone from the HSE doing a risk assessment for a festival.

And the horses where for horse drawn boat trips

Believe it or not but just down the road from me there was a recent court case were some travellers were prosecuted for fly grazing it was the first case of its kind and they had very similar pony,s to the ones in the picture so I would guess there's more than likely a travellers site not far from this lock and the pony,s are just put out to graze on other peoples land ,so I would,nt be leaving your boat unattended near by

Anyway... I spent last winter in Gnosall where I was holed up due to a broken engine. The Grass Squad came by one day so I offered to push my boat out so that they could cut the grass, but they said, "No problem, we can come back later". I said "It's ok, I'll cut the grass myself". "Great", said they, and off they went. A few days later I took a bus into Newport to look for some shears/a scythe/strimmer but couldn't find anything suitable. Arriving home, I saw a chappy, who lives locally, with a horse who was happily munching on the grass which needed cutting (the grass in his field being too short). So, CRT contractors didn't mess up my boat, I got a job done for free and with no hassle, and George had a lovely meal. Winners all round, I think.