Coolant level

Ricco1

Featured Posts

My engine (Isuzu 42) doesn't have a header tank installed. When I remove the radiator cap the coolant level is around 2 inches off being full. Is this about right? I thought about topping it up a little, but reckon that the coolant will expand and probably leak out of the cap.

p.s. not having a header tank, is this unusual?

Our Beta 43 has no separate header tank, there is a filler cap on the engine block and a reservoir of coolant in an integral tank. The system is pressurised. Engines with header tanks may be unpressurised (if the tank is open to atmosphere.

Anyway, our manual say 1" down from the top of the filler neck, but it is not critical and 2" down will be fine. If you overfill it, it will just come out of the overflow when it heats up.

Edited by nicknorman

easiest way to find out is to top it up, go for a bit of a chug and then see what the level is. If it's back where it was, it's where it's meant to be. If it's a bit higher, then you know you needed some water. It's all part of learning your particular boat.