Nelson cooker doesn't work

Tunneltug

Featured Posts

Sorry if this has already been discussed.

I've got a Nelson Tecma 2 hob, grill and oven but one of the hobs and the grill just don't work. The flame lights buts goes out when the button is released. No matter how long the button is held, when it's released the flame goes out. The other hob and the oven work perfectly. It's obviously something to do with the flame out safety device. It was bought new but unfortunately the fit out took so long that by the time it was finished the guarantee on the cooker had ran out.

Has anybody had any experience of this. Is it easily fixed or is there a manufacturer that I need to contact.

Thanks - Keith

Edited by Tunneltug

Most likely a faulty thermocouple, however if like this from new then check that the connection at the gas valve end is properly made.

Check also (compare with working one) that the burner end of the thermocouple is sitting in the flame properly, and is clean...

Also check that the thermocouple and gas valve are solidly earthed to the metal casing. Modern designs seem to rely on the case as the earth path for the thermocouple current, unlike the superior older designs which have MICC from the thermocouple to the valve which provides both sides of the circuit.

MP.

I've got a Nelson with close to the same problem.

ie One of the hob burners needs holding for an extended period before it can be released without the flame going out.

I've tried to spin the burner so the flame hits the thermocouple (which is clean) better but it doesn't rotate far enough.

I'll need to check the connections as per Stormbringer and MP's advice when I go to the boat again.

Matter of interest. What is a generic thermocouple likely to cost?

Edited by andywatson

I've just had a thermo couple problem with my cooker at the house. It's a Lacanche French jobby. New thermocouple £35. Generic one £4.50 off eBay. Moral is, don't buy anything French.

Edited to add 'what have the French ever done for us' ?

Edited by fudd