Scraping the inside!

Theo

Featured Posts

Real paint is fine if its put on a well prepared surface such as shot blasted and then properly maintained thereafter. Boat bilges rarely get this treatment though, and maintenance thereafter? Forget it.....

- The shitty bodge you refer to however can be applied over a poorly prepped surface (mill scale) in a fraction of the time and then neglected almost for ever and will exclude the oxygen which is what preventing corrosion is all about.

Yeah i guess.

- As i say, ive never used it or seen it in action, and your proberbly right.

- After ive spent a few hours rummaging about under our coal bunker scraping the baseplate, i may well be eating my words while on my way to buy me some waxoil!

There are better products about the car repair trade for similar cash than the usual brand though...
It wouldnt supprise me at all. - Can you go into any more detail? brands/names?

Daniel

Can you go into any more detail? brands/names?

Daniel

The one I usually use is a trade product called Wax Auto. They do two grades, one for cavities and the other for underbody/wheel arches.

A product called Dinitrol came out top in extensive tests a few years ago by the magazine, Practical Classics. http://www.dinitrol.com/index.php?id=32&L=1

Oh I do love that question! B)

Oh if I had a pound for every time it was asked! Seriously if you like making work and like the smell of the slimy horrible stuff do it, but in reality there's no point on a new boat that should have bone dry bilges.

Hi,

I feel you're being a bit optimistic there, any steel boat that's lived on full time is likely to have some condensation in the bilges through autumn/winter, and not dry out fully 'til spring/summer.

Also plumbing leaks can and do happen, and may go unnoticed for some time.

cheers,

Pete.

Due to renewed interest we have managed to obtain a new supply of this essential product in the construction and maintenance of modern steel narrowboats-

waxoyl.jpg

I would suggest that every narrowboat owner should follow the age old tradition of narrow boating and Waxoyl the full interior of their boats to prevent or control any rusting.

This product is endorsed by many famous narrowboat owners and is a tried and tested solution to internal rusting of modern narrowboats.

Available in 5ltr cans (Packaging may differ.) from me for a snip at £25.00 per can inc VAT and I will even throw in a selection of old used paint brushes for you to apply it with. B)

This product is endorsed by many famous narrowboat owners ......................

famous because they own a narrowboat, or famous people who happen to own narrowboats? :blush:

I hadn't realised the route to fame was to have a 2metre wide chunk of steel floating on the local cut. there's hope for me yet, specially as mine is 3metres wide (although the scantlings probly ain't quite up to it B) )

:lol: