SR2 cleaning cooling fins

bonany

Featured Posts

I'm attempting to clean the cooling fins on my SR2.

I've taken off the exhaust, the air filter and the cooling air cowling.

I'm now a bit unsure what I should be doing, whether I've found the fins or not.

I've got a photo but there seems to be no way of uploading it to this post.

Do I need the tool as suggested in the manual?

I can't find that to buy online.

Any help welcome.

I manage without the tool too

You need to take off the cowling on the other side as well, the one where the hot air comes out. You should now be able to see the fins on the cylinders

I use a bit of stiff wire bent into a hook to pull the oily fluff out - a bit of coathanger is good (not a plastic one)

Richard

I manage without the tool too

You need to take off the cowling on the other side as well, the one where the hot air comes out. You should now be able to see the fins on the cylinders

I use a bit of stiff wire bent into a hook to pull the oily fluff out - a bit of coathanger is good (not a plastic one)

Richard

I found coathangers too thick to get deep enough into the fins. Maybe dry cleaners up north use thicker wire?

I used an old bicycle spoke, bent at the end and hammered flat.

The Lister tool is part No. 367-16170

During the last 17 years I have only cleaned the fins once on my SR2 and it didn't really need doing. If you are lucky enough to have a leak-free engine there shouldn't be much fluff to remove. IME it is oil leakage and spills which attracts fluff and dirt.

It makes a difference where the engine lives, and if you keep pets!

An SR under a cruiser stern seems to be most at risk from disintegrating exhaust bandage. An HA in an engine room seems to accumulate dog hairs

Richard

It makes a difference where the engine lives, and if you keep pets!

An SR under a cruiser stern seems to be most at risk from disintegrating exhaust bandage. An HA in an engine room seems to accumulate dog hairs

Richard

Good point. I hadn't thought of disintegrating exhaust lagging, but presumably if the fins are dry and oil-free that shouldn't be a problem?

Good point. I hadn't thought of disintegrating exhaust lagging, but presumably if the fins are dry and oil-free that shouldn't be a problem?

Sorry, we are talking old SR engines here, right? The ones that habitually develop oil leaks from the rocker gaskets and from the pump housing top seals?

I love SR engines, like many air cooled Listers they can be prone to oil leakage from the top as they age

Richard

Sorry, we are talking old SR engines here, right? The ones that habitually develop oil leaks from the rocker gaskets and from the pump housing top seals?

I love SR engines, like many air cooled Listers they can be prone to oil leakage from the top as they age

Richard

I must be lucky!