Sawley Marina To Nottingham Riverside Festival

JohnnyHop

Featured Posts

I'm hoping to get over to the Nottingham Riverside Festival from Sawley on Saturday/Sunday, but being a boating newbie there are loads of things I need to know, maybe y'all can offer enlightenment on some of the more fundamental ones to help me to avoid making too much of a prat of myself (and causing danger to us or others, obviously)

1. Can I even get there? I have an air draft of 7 feet (ish) and the best info I can find is 8 feet should be OK but this seems an inexact science. If anyone knows the lowest bridge I'll even go and measure the thing if necessary.

2. What's the protocol about mooring up next to other boats? Just do it with a polite 'do you mind'?

3. Likewise, what's the score when I want to leave, if another boat has moored inside me?

I have more Q's which I may ask if I get answers to the above that don't put me off going....

John

Our air draft is a tad less than yours at 6'6" but we have loads of room getting through the lower bridges on the Nottingham canal so I dont think you will have a problem there.

As for rafting up just ask. Most people especially at events like this expect to be rafted anyway. Arrange between yourselves who wants to leave and when and if possible put the boats leaving first on the outside. If not just shuffle them around as and when you want to leave. It isnt a problem.

Getting full, no moorings on the main County Steps from tomorrow till Saturday and listening to boat movement, people won't be moving and are keeping spaces/double mooring for friends, looks like it will be busy. Maybe better off mooring by Castle moorings and walking down.

Edited by Northernboater

Getting full, no moorings on the main County Steps from tomorrow till Saturday and listening to boat movement, people won't be moving and are keeping spaces/double mooring for friends, looks like it will be busy.

I'm everyone's friend, so it looks like those folk have sorted things out nicely for me!

What you or I? (that's friends on here) lol, I've been out months and just keep moving a night stop then on, not like a lot of people on here. The narrowboats/barges looked like they were there to stay, the little plastics were coming and going like wasps, there was a nice Dutch cruiser/Gin palace at the far end if it's still there you can't miss it, puts all the little plastics to shame. Enjoy

Edited by Northernboater