Foosdyke & Witham

tillergirl

Featured Posts

Anyone on here live on this navigation or have travelled on it. Would like some feedback on its merits (or not). We're eventually selling up to live aboard and as daughter is planning to go to university in Lincoln would like to be in that locale for a while.

Cheers :)

We went there last year and had a wonderful time. Malcolm's local knowledge was extremely useful to us. We had a couple of weeks on the Fossdyke and Witham, and explored some of the Witham Navigable Drains too.

There's a trip report and a few pictures on our website (although for chapter and verse, see Malcolm's site)

Allan

We live on the Witham. It's quite a boring river to cruise from Bardney Lock to Boston because of the high banks, but saying that we have a pootle about most weekends in summer as the wildlife is good and the pubs are excellent. Long term improvements are ongoing by the Lincs Waterways Partnership that are making things a lot better.

The Fossdyke is a lovely stretch and we highly recommend the Pye Wipe Inn (if you can get in there, v. busy in summer).

As for mooring in Lincoln (residential) the best place is Campus Way but when we enquired 2 years ago there was a 2 year waiting list, I believe it is even longer now!

Brayford pool is the most obvious place but (and people can correct me if I am wrong!) 'they' are actively discouraging residential moorings in the pool, also I hear there is a lot of disruption from the uni.

There is also the Burton Waters, pricy and ok if you like HUGE cruisers and can put up with the snobbery.

The main thing around here is total lack of chandlery. Burton Waters boasts a chandlery, but it only stocks stuff for cruisers and very expensive clothing! But, they say that is going to change, won't hold my breathe tho!

Feel free to contact us if you want any more info.... tho I doubt Malc has missed much! :)

Feel free to contact us if you want any more info.... tho I doubt Malc has missed much! :)

Go to the top of my Christmas Card list :):lol:

Btw, I went on Monday, met Arnie (Steer Clear) and was going to have a short trip; only someone had stolen the water again.

only someone had stolen the water again.

I think they brought it back yesterday morning Malc, but then they p****d off with it again, leaving us about a foot and a half away from the pontoon! Not too bad for us, had to close my eyes when the dog took a leap tho! You know how clumsy he is! :)

Oh and Allan, just read your diary of the Slea. It is possible to get to the end of navigation with a NB, but be very careful! We went up in August 2005, just after we brought the Fairie home, got to Bottom Lock where there was a notice saying the EA had been doing bank work at South Kyme but it was now clear. Got to Halfpenny Toll bridge only to find the dam was still there! :) Had to reverse all the way back to Bottom Lock as the winding hole is only 40', ended up having to moor on farmers land as it got dark, not that he minded after pointing a shot gun at us we explained and he was fine! AARRGH!!

The last time we went up was probably about the same sort of time you did. Not too much weed, only had to stop about every 1/2 hour instead of ten minutes. But, beware of Halfpenny Toll bridge! Got thru it this time, but minus a chimney! There was approx 1" clearance above the highest point on the rear hatch!

If you can get to end of navigation (Cobblers Lock) it is a beautiful place, very secluded. Make sure you have supplies tho cos it's a long traipse to the nearest village.

Wow! I do go on, don't I! :lol:

Sam

......... Make sure you have supplies tho cos it's a long traipse to the nearest village.

Anwick is maybe a mile down the towpath beyond the structurally restored but ungated Cobblers Lock. It has a small PO and general store plus a cafe in a garden furniture store. Used to have a factory shop at the huge chicken processing factory but can't confirm.

Ruskington Village, a couple of miles further on has full facilities. Railway station with trains to Lincoln/Peterborough, supermarket, PO, pharmacy, news agents, take aways, 3 pubs etc as well as a doctors surgery. Leave the tow path at the ornamental stone bridge below Haverholme Lock and head north, crossing the busy A153, a footpath opposite takes you into the village past the sewage works and maggot farm so clothes pegs are a must.....

South Kyme just has the (reopened) pub. There's a path if you know where to look that heads out across the fields to the village of Heckington where you'll find a railway station with trains to Grantham/Boston, supermarket, PO, pharmacy, news agents, greengrocers, butcher, take aways, 2 pubs, doctors surgery, as well as a preserved 8 sailed windmill that's well worth a look around.

Winding at Cobblers Lock is via the narrow bywash channel on the right, not the more obvious confluence with the Old River Slea on the left which is heavily silted

....not that he minded after pointing a shot gun at us we explained and he was fine! AARRGH!!

I bet that was James Measures, Terry Booths Farm...... Loves boaters does Jim, but couldn't eat a whole one...... :)

Edited by Hairy-Neil

Yup, that's him!

so... where are you based then Hairy-Neil?

On the fringe of Sleaford......

The in-laws are from Rusko. The missus lived there for half her life, went to school there, even worked for a while at the sausage/pie factory. I've worked in the village several times and turned down a job at the pie factory. Have also worked at times in Heckington so know the area. I know the River Slea well having both boated and walked the navigable length and walked the derelict remainder many times. I was also involved with WRG when Cobblers Lock was restored. Have friends and relations live at South Kyme. :D

Neil - just for curiosity. Would you agree with me the Kyme, even just the restored section is Lincolnshires finest natural attraction. Other than the seaside, and woodland, we don't have many.

And that it is nothing short of criminal, that since it was opened 20 years ago, the restored section is not managed, and kept open for boating.

You will no doubt have read, despite all my experience I was staggered at the difference a few yards can make i.e. boating through Kyme, or on the road. My friends with me, who also lived on the riverbank for a few years, were also just as amazed.

I simply can't understand WHY this commodity has been neglected for so long.

It aint bad, :D ....the unrestored length is much better though, its less of a ditch. Two water mills (there were once mills at 5 of the locks) add to the interest, an original toll house, though this is hexagonal, not octagonal as all the guide books and reports always state, plus what's thought to be the only surviving original canal office of a small rural navigation company. Recently restored too and open to the public. A mid 19 century canal warehouse survives too though is somewhat spoilt by the newly built prison block flats.

I've walked a lot of the Horncastle Canal and would say its on a par with the Slea though for scenery.

The restored section is not managed because EA are only the drainage authority, there is no navigation authority to maintain it for boating. The reality is 8 miles of river would cost ££££££££££ to dredge and weed cut and it sees insuficient use to justify the expense.

Thanks muchly for all your replies - pleased to see theres some nice people living in that area. Thanks also Malc for your messages we're off for a reccie and sunday lunch this weekend somewhere the other side of Lincoln.

The White Horse at Southery is good and if you are on the Fossedyke, The Pyewipe, or there are moorings at Saxilby giving you access to The Sun and another pub next door

The Sun at Saxilby has the reputation for being one of the really good live music venues in Lincolnshire - on a Sunday evening too

Have fun and if you see me fishing give us a wave

Sunday Lunch at The Riverside Inn Southrey, excellent meal, superb service and very good value. Will certainly be visiting again. Thanks for the suggestion - will try the other two at a later date :D

Had a walk along the river bank afterwards and a saunter around Witham Abbey.

Edited by tillergirl