Sound proofing

Theo

Featured Posts

One of the improvements that I have lined up for Theodora is a bit of sound proofing. The (rather long, nearly cruiser) traditional stern has the engine underneath it (back to front, with a belt drive down to the propshaft which then runs under the engine. Do I line just the lift up plywood boards or do I line the sides of the engine space as well, ie the boat's skin?

Nick

One of the improvements that I have lined up for Theodora is a bit of sound proofing. The (rather long, nearly cruiser) traditional stern has the engine underneath it (back to front, with a belt drive down to the propshaft which then runs under the engine. Do I line just the lift up plywood boards or do I line the sides of the engine space as well, ie the boat's skin?

Nick

I understand the theory of soundproofing is that all surfaces will act as a drum and will contribute to the overall din. The way round it is to absorb as much of the sound as possible. In a bare room with a tiled floor and no soft materials the sound is awful. If you have wall drapes, soft furniture, carpets, curtains, etc. the sound cannot be reflected around and is minimised.

Against that is the idea that you only want to limit the sound that would be transmitted through the barriers separating the source from you. Ideally this requires heavy and expensive sound absorbing materials.

I guess the moral is - the more surfaces that are covered the better, but doing the floorboards is the first priority.