'Bilge master' automatic pump control

Kieron G

Featured Posts

Hi, When refitting the boat a neighbour gave me still in the packet a 'Bilge master' which i fitted following the enclosed instructions for the correct height compared to the pump. I don't if forum members are familiar with this system but instead of a float switch it is a sealed unit with two probes and when the water gets up to that level it swiches the pump on until the level drops. The bilge area in the stern of the boat is quite small, because it's open i can't avoid water getting in when it rains. If a lot of water comes in ( when testing it with a hose pipe ) the system works fine and the pumps out a load of water in one go. when the water gradually gets up to level though it is so sensitive that it switches the pump on for a second or two and then switches off before the water has made it's way to the top of the pipe and overboard. Because the level of the bilge water is still the same with in two minutes it does the same thing in an endless cycle if i am not there to manually over ride the system and lower the level. Any suggestions Welcome. Thanks in advance, Kieron.

I do not know for sure but there may be a non-return valve in the pump that has become 'jammed ' open.

or

you could fit one yourself in the outlet pipe, as close to the pump as possible

I don't think that problem is exclusive to electronically activated pumps. It happens with float switch pumps too. I'm not sure if there is any solution other than a non-return value, but be aware that any inline fitting will reduce the efficiency of the pump.