River Levels - EA info vs. Lock indicator boards

Bodkin

Featured Posts

Hi All, is there any standard method to determine what the river level reading on the EA website translates to on the red/amber/green indicator boards at locks?

Yesterday we did Knottingley to Selby and the board at Bank Dole lock was green but at West Haddlesey Flood lock was on amber.

Looking at the EA website I can't determine what is the safe level? Any advice/hints/tips appreciated :)

Thanks

I don't actually know the answer to your question, but a few thoughts:

River levels can and do change whilst you are on them: it is quite possible that the river rose a few inches between Beal and Haddlesy, the only way you could know this was going to happen is if you had information that levels were rising upstream before you started out.

Level and flow are not the same thing: a river that is six inches up will flow faster than the same river in a drought, but a river that is 12 inches up won't necessarily flow faster than one that has a few inches of fresh on. You can't tell a river is going to rise because it is flowing quickly, in fact a rapid flow may well indicate that the level is falling

I don't think the CRT red/amber/green boards are all that scientific, they are based on experience but even then are a bit if a crude tool - note the comments re:flow. They are, however a very effective way of providing an on-the-spot reference to inform boat crews. If I was at Beal Lock and the board was in the red no amount of digital data on my phone would persuade me it was wrong. I realise you are probably trying to avoid getting caught out by a river that was already in the red when you left your home moorings many miles away, but you won't always be able to.

Edited to add, but don't let any of this stop you using rivers! :)

Edited by magpie patrick

Hi All, is there any standard method to determine what the river level reading on the EA website translates to on the red/amber/green indicator boards at locks?

Yesterday we did Knottingley to Selby and the board at Bank Dole lock was green but at West Haddlesey Flood lock was on amber.

Looking at the EA website I can't determine what is the safe level? Any advice/hints/tips appreciated smile.png

Thanks

Bear in mind the EA has no interest in navigation. Their level stations are only in respect of flooding and water management.

Whereas CRTs information is aimed mainly at boaters, and reports "boatability" rather than just level.

Another method if on the larger rivers with manned locks is to ring the lock keeper. He will normally have an idea about both levels and safety.

Thanks both for the answers - I hadn't thought about EA's reporting being for flooding more in relation to risk to property/life.

Love the idea of a 'Boatability' measurement - maybe it's something we could petition CRT to introduce :)

In the meantime we'll use common sense and certainly won't avoid rivers through fear of the flow - just done the tidal Trent from Cromwell to Keadby and enjoyed it!

Thanks both for the answers - I hadn't thought about EA's reporting being for flooding more in relation to risk to property/life.

Love the idea of a 'Boatability' measurement - maybe it's something we could petition CRT to introduce :)

In the meantime we'll use common sense and certainly won't avoid rivers through fear of the flow - just done the tidal Trent from Cromwell to Keadby and enjoyed it!

If you started above Newark would would have passed through my work place, Nether Lock!

What is yr boat called?

jelunga, on 24 May 2014 - 6:10 PM, said:

If you started above Newark would would have passed through my work place, Nether Lock!

What is yr boat called?

They must have done because they say they had their mooring ropes cut/untied and they were set adrift in Newark (first instance I've ever heard of)

Boat name Sapphire

They must have done because they say they had their mooring ropes cut/untied and they were set adrift in Newark (first instance I've ever heard of)

Boat name Sapphire

Not seen thus week since Tuesaday anyway