Featured Posts

Hi guys,

I have recently required a 70ft lovely that could do with a bit of TLC. I'm looking to renovate just one room to begin with. The bedroom. It's entirely separate from the rest of the boat so shouldn't take so long. Whilst I'm quite handy with this kind of stuff, I just wanted to get some feedback from others who have done this as to what problems could arise. It isn't insulated very well - in fact, I can see the filling hanging out the bottom now - it looks like old mucky wool. So, I would look to install some Kingspan panels and board over that. i also wanted to know what wood people use to finish - I appreciate a lot of this is down to personal preference, but again, another's experience is always worth hearing.

Thanks in advance.

Michael.

My preference would be tongue and groove boards upper laid horizontally preferably a hardwood then oiled/waxed/stained etc. Below laid vertically in pine boards and painted.

I would imagine easier to cut and measure any angles rather than using a full sized board.

Another option I may use in my bathroom renovation is oak faced ply below and buy some oak boards and make a panelled effect below with beading inside the panels.

I'm not a fan off all plywood. Were all different though.

A picture of the wall boarding as I bought my boat. Believe it's meranti.

Boat006_zpsf770dc32.jpg

Jamescheers.gif

Edited by canals are us?

We used Celotex 25mm sheets, with softwood battens and Wickes' softwood T&G panelling, along with narrow 20mm softwood trim strips around edges. Looks pretty good when painted in two contrasting colours, and with a bit of textured skirting board along the gunwale, a dark maroon under the gunwale and a cream colour above.